Illinois Amtrak Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Post Reply
HammerJack
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by HammerJack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I'll be on the Lincoln Service early this November (St. Louis to Normal). Are we still at 79mph?

Matt Johnson
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Hazlet, NJ

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by Matt Johnson » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm

HammerJack wrote:I'll be on the Lincoln Service early this November (St. Louis to Normal). Are we still at 79mph?
Yep, even the short 110 demo stretch is now down to 79. The last of many false promises was 90 mph by summer 2018, but it never happened.

gokeefe
Posts: 11800
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by gokeefe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Ugh. Unreal.
gokeefe

Matt Johnson
Posts: 4185
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:57 pm
Location: Hazlet, NJ

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by Matt Johnson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm

What I find surprising is how other Obama stimulus projects are quietly producing results with little hype, while Illinois high speed rail has had a lot of hype and not much else to show for it.
Attachments
vermonter.jpg

mtuandrew
Posts: 5866
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by mtuandrew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

I wonder how much of the slow progress in Illinois is the landlord rather than the tenant?

Greg Moore
Posts: 5362
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:15 am
Location: IT Consultant
Contact:

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by Greg Moore » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:What I find surprising is how other Obama stimulus projects are quietly producing results with little hype, while Illinois high speed rail has had a lot of hype and not much else to show for it.
BTW, I LOVE this graphic because it shows how great a network can be.

Honestly though, there need to be more trains on the ALB-BOS segment to make this network even more fully usable.

But this is part of what any train system needs, a viable network with multiple paths.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.

benboston
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by benboston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:00 am

Greg Moore wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:What I find surprising is how other Obama stimulus projects are quietly producing results with little hype, while Illinois high speed rail has had a lot of hype and not much else to show for it.
BTW, I LOVE this graphic because it shows how great a network can be.

Honestly though, there need to be more trains on the ALB-BOS segment to make this network even more fully usable.

But this is part of what any train system needs, a viable network with multiple paths.
Also, to many destinations. I think the current network is only a fraction of what our end goal should be.

EricL
Posts: 803
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:41 pm

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by EricL » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:20 pm

mtuandrew wrote:I wonder how much of the slow progress in Illinois is the landlord rather than the tenant?
It was indeed UP who pulled the plug, though Amtrak shares in the blame. They were looking ahead at the inevitable migration to ETMS. ITCS isn't compatible. They're likely regretting employing it in the first place.
ITCS is about the most poor-mans-PTC as you can get. But, in the earlier days, it was a cheaper solution based on the technology feasible at the time. You have to remember that it started in Michigan in the mid-90s.
hey there guy

Station Aficionado
Posts: 1756
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:15 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by Station Aficionado » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 pm

Some nice new stations—Joliet, Dwight, Pontiac, Alton (not a fan aesthetically of the new Carlinville stop), plus a renovation at Lincoln. Wonder how much speed improvement between Alton and St Louis could’ve been purchased with some of the money.

mtuandrew
Posts: 5866
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by mtuandrew » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 pm

EricL wrote:It was indeed UP who pulled the plug, though Amtrak shares in the blame. They were looking ahead at the inevitable migration to ETMS. ITCS isn't compatible. They're likely regretting employing it in the first place.
ITCS is about the most poor-mans-PTC as you can get. But, in the earlier days, it was a cheaper solution based on the technology feasible at the time. You have to remember that it started in Michigan in the mid-90s.
Good to see you back on the forum, and yeah, that makes sense. It’ll be interesting to see if Amtrak moves to I-ETMS in Michigan once ITCS isn’t manufacturer-supported anymore. Also, I’m curious whether UP will try to wriggle out of its commitment for higher-speed rail with the FRA in friendly hands.

HammerJack
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by HammerJack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Looks like canceling the Blackhawk to Rockford cost Rauner the election. #1 voter issue.

gokeefe
Posts: 11800
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:28 pm
Location: Winthrop, Maine

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by gokeefe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Are you serious??!? Would love to see the press on that ...
gokeefe

HammerJack
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by HammerJack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:45 pm

gokeefe wrote:Are you serious??!? Would love to see the press on that ...
Just a joke; I doubt many even know about the Rockford train. But that would've made for a good story.

User avatar
Tadman
Posts: 9413
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by Tadman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:36 pm

HammerJack wrote:
gokeefe wrote:Are you serious??!? Would love to see the press on that ...
Just a joke; I doubt many even know about the Rockford train. But that would've made for a good story.
Was curious where this was going, I haven't heard one thing of it anymore. I don't officially live in Chicago anymore but I'm in town a lot for business.

benboston
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:44 pm

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Post by benboston » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Considering 150,000 people live there, maybe they should bring back service.

Post Reply

Return to “Amtrak”