Railroad Forums 

• Thanksgiving Week Extras

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1489851  by Acela150

phillymountainrailfan wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
phillymountainrailfan wrote:
CNJGeep wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote:Each pair (and some of the A3 singles) had restrooms-which was a major factor.
The singles all lost their restrooms in the 1990s rebuild. This doesn't stop NJT from putting single cars on. The last few years have seen three married pairs and two single cars on at least one of the two sets.
MACTRAXX wrote:Amtrak has also
leased SEPTA P/P equipment primarily for either PHL-HAR or as standby - at least two of the cab
cars DO have a working restroom - that is kept locked and not available to the public.
They did not spare a set in 2017, and I don't remember them doing it in 2016 either.

As for restrooms, I can tell you with certitude that no cab car has a toilet. 2401 and 2408 don't even have the cabinet anymore, and the remainder only have a hand dryer and a sink (with no running water.) The last time those cars had toilets was when they went to Altoona, and they were installed and removed before and after the event, respectively. SEPTA does not have any facilities to drain toilet tanks.
Septa has always had a push pull set ready for Sunday after.

I would hope that septa gets a chance to run their sets this year since njt is up a creek
Septa hasn't given Amtrak a trainset in quite a few years. Due to the reason mentioned above, a lack of restroom. As well as the unreliable AEM-7's that Septa had that are now nothing but yard goats or assigned to work trains.

Septa has provided a set every year as backup in case of a break down and they had to take over. Also Marc trains and njt trains Don t have bathrooms in them that's why Marc adds a cafe car to their sets
I'd like to know where you get your information from. Cause it's 100% false. For years there wasn't a cafe car on the Marc sets. NJT trains DO have restrooms. As well as Marc sets.
 #1489960  by hi55us

chuchubob wrote:The NEC timetable is up. It looks like two MARC trains and no NJ Transit.
Hmn, wonder if this was a typo on the first page.

Business Class can enter the club acela?
 #1490073  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:
From further review of the 2018 Thanksgiving TT there are only going to be two round trips using
MARC equipment on Sunday November 25 that are listed as "Holiday Commuter" schedules:

Train 1054-Leaves WAS at 9:55AM; PHL at 12:01PM and arrives at NYP at 1:30PM - to 1063 S.
Train 1056-Leaves WAS at 2:30PM; PHL at 4:39PM and arrives at NYP at 6:05PM - to 1065 S.
Train 1063-Leaves NYP at 3:30PM; PHL at 5:02PM and arrives at WAS at 7:03PM.
Train 1065-Leaves NYP at 8:20 PM; PHL at 9:50PM and arrives at WAS at 11:51PM.

Stops on each train listed by three letter code:
1054: WAS, NCR, BAL, WIL, PHL, NWK, NYP.
1056: WAS, NCR, BWI, BAL, WIL, PHL, TRE, NWK, NYP.
1063: NYP, NWK, MET, TRE, PHL, WIL, BAL, BWI, NCR, WAS.
1065: NYP, NWK, PHL, WIL, BAL, BWI, NCR, WAS.

As previously noticed these look to be the only scheduled trains operating on Sunday 11/25
that will be using leased equipment on the NEC...MACTRAXX
 #1490085  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote: Stops on each train listed by three letter code:
Do we know if MARC's leasing an HHP-8 on each of the trainsets?
 #1490274  by Acela150

Rockingham Racer wrote:Has to be a mistake. I'm sure they meant First Class Acela passengers.
In all technical terms NE Regional Passengers riding in Business Class can pay I believe $20 for a day pass to use the ClubAcela Lounges in Philly and Boston. DC and NY do not offer such a pass as they are used heavily. Especially NYP. At times it's SRO.
 #1492153  by MACTRAXX

STrRedWolf wrote:
MACTRAXX wrote: Stops on each train listed by three letter code:
Do we know if MARC's leasing an HHP-8 on each of the trainsets?
RW: Today (11/25) is the big day - and it will be interesting to see what Amtrak assigns to these
two train sets on one of the busiest travel days of the year...MACTRAXX
 #1492166  by liftedjeep

-MARC Holiday Extra #1054 through Bridesburg (Philadelphia) on 11/25 with Amtrak City Sprinter #641 on the point of six MARC coaches and an Amtrak cafe car:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5052613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Going away shot:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5052615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
 #1492172  by STrRedWolf

liftedjeep wrote:-MARC Holiday Extra #1054 through Bridesburg (Philadelphia) on 11/25 with Amtrak City Sprinter #641 on the point of six MARC coaches and an Amtrak cafe car:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5052613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-Going away shot:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=5052615" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, that answers *THAT* question. But gaaaah... can't we get a spare MARC IIA retrofitted with a cafe section?!? (I know, I know, time, money, maintenance, etc). The Sprinter didn't look too out of place but the Amtrak Cafe looked like it was being towed like a private vehicle being pulled into the shops.

Good choice though to add cafe cars to the train sets... although, I wonder if Amtrak could of made a killing serving turkey burgers with secret sauce (ie gravy).
 #1492175  by mtuandrew

I wish N-S still had an American production facility and would bid on the Amtrak single-level contract with their DMU A-car and C-car bodies (which look like a mildly updated MARC II or South Shore trailer.) They just look good behind a Sprinter, hard to explain why.
 #1492177  by CNJGeep

STrRedWolf wrote: Well, that answers *THAT* question. But gaaaah... can't we get a spare MARC IIA retrofitted with a cafe section?!? (I know, I know, time, money, maintenance, etc). The Sprinter didn't look too out of place but the Amtrak Cafe looked like it was being towed like a private vehicle being pulled into the shops.

Good choice though to add cafe cars to the train sets... although, I wonder if Amtrak could of made a killing serving turkey burgers with secret sauce (ie gravy).
The cafe is there for extra lavatory capacity, so there aren't two restrooms (there's an extra cab car behind the motor) for seven cars of people. It does not serve as a cafe, unless they tried something new this year, which is doubtful.
 #1492203  by twropr

Did anyone see whether the 1060-series trains on Sunday were NJ Transit MUs?
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, Fl
 #1492209  by liftedjeep

twropr wrote:Did anyone see whether the 1060-series trains on Sunday were NJ Transit MUs?
Thanks!
Andy
Jacksonville, Fl

NJ Transit did not run any Holiday Extras this year. The 1060 trains were the southbound trips of the MARC extras.
Ben