Railroad Forums 

• Acela Replacement and Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1486102  by gokeefe

Alstom has this project timed down to the day. Previous IG Reports indicated they were taking a 90 day schedule slip of the initial delivery very seriously. Hard to.imagine the same response from other vendors.
 #1486115  by east point

For those of you that have said that AX-1s would be retired the five year service plan differs. As of the plan date Amtrak expects all AX-2s to be in service by 2022. Amtrak expects AX-1s to be retired by end of 2025. If the AX-2s are delayed then Amtrak can certainly delay the AX=1s further out ! WhatAmtrak expects to do during the overlap is not stated as far as we could find.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 8-FY23.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1487440  by Tadman

I recently spoke to a contractor on the Acela 1 program that i know well. He indicated it’s likely the Acela 1 gets retired and disposed of, but there is still a bit of discussion of moving it to some other assignment to be determined such as Regionals, Keystone... I don’t believe he is a sub for Acela 2, so perhaps he is doing some wishful thinking.
 #1487444  by gokeefe

He would probably know better than most. It's not as if the Alstom people are going to know anything. Thanks for the post. More mud in the water but certainly catches my attention and would also be more in line with the current "airline" management style.
 #1487450  by Arlington

I'm sure it is in Amtrak's interest to keep it *looking* like the AX-1 would/could be continued in service, the better to negotiate price & delivery for additional AX-2 rolling stock if the initial units look promising. Everyplace you'd dream of repurposing an AX1, I dream of deploying additional AX2s (which would probably be superior on capital costs, operating costs, performance, and customer satisfaction)
 #1487494  by east point

Arlington wrote: Everyplace you'd dream of repurposing an AX1, I dream of deploying additional AX2s (which would probably be superior on capital costs, operating costs, performance, and customer satisfaction)

That thought is inportant but there might be a break in manufacturing between the last AX-2s now ordered and additional cars or sets being ordered and delivered ?
 #1487515  by mtuandrew

The AX-1s really could be a great bargain for an operator that wants one single, captive fleet, has high platforms & fast track, and who’s willing to work hand-in-hand with BBD/Alstom. They would be a nightmare for anyone else.

And yes, Amtrak itself ought to just buy another round of AX-2s (or MUs or corridor coaches) rather than try to rehab the AX-1s again, but they could always operate them for PennDOT, CDOT, RIPTA, or DelDOT.
 #1487523  by mtuandrew

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Las Vegas?
Extremely doubtful. No track for years, no guarantee of wire, and Brightline has an existing and strong relationship with Siemens. Same goes for CAHSR, except Alstom is also a strong competitor.

If they run after the AX-2s hit the property, it’ll be on the NEC (or an extension thereof), and regardless of the operator it wouldn’t be on Amtrak’s dime. Or else, they’ll be a big tourist train fleet :P
 #1487530  by gokeefe

Bramdeisroberts wrote:Las Vegas?
Definitely not. Brightline has made it clear they want to operate a common fleet company wide.

Also would complicate other options.
 #1487531  by gokeefe

Arlington wrote:Everyplace you'd dream of repurposing an AX1, I dream of deploying additional AX2s (which would probably be superior on capital costs, operating costs, performance, and customer satisfaction)
Well made point that I think rightfully calls into question the future of NEC captive Northeast Regional service.