Railroad Forums 

• A&A models commercially available

• All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad
All about the Arcade & Attica Railroad

Moderator: Benjamin Maggi

#1260242  by Benjamin Maggi

I thought I would start a thread listing all of the known commercially available models of Arcade and Attica Railroad equipment. I know hobby shops in Western NY sometimes did some custom painted models, so we can include them too. (Updated 4/28/2022)

N Scale:
- ConCor (item #01001T): 40’ boxcar; Orange & White scheme, Road #501
- ConCor (item #01001T): 40’ boxcar; Orange & White scheme, Road #533
*note the same item number, but different road number
- Micro Trains Lines (item #024 00 330): 40’ boxcar; Orange & White scheme, Road #506

HO Scale:
- A.H.M. (item #5151-C) "Casey Jones" 4-6-0 Steam Engine, lettered for Arcade & Attica
Hard to believe but true! I have a scan of an AHM advertisement.

- Bachmann GE-44 ton models (#110 and #111) in the black and orange 1970s and 1980s paint scheme
*custom painted by KVAL Hobbies in Buffalo

- Athearn/Bev-Bel (item #1064): 40’ boxcar; Blue & White scheme, Road #231
- Athearn/Bev-Bel (item #1064-1): 40’ boxcar; Blue & White scheme, Road #234
- Athearn/Bev-Bel (item #1064-2): 40’ boxcar; Blue & White scheme, Road #238

- Athearn (Tioga Trains item #____): 40’ boxcar; Orange & White scheme, Road #503
- Athearn (Tioga Trains item #____): 40’ boxcar; Orange & White scheme, Road #504
- Athearn (Tioga Trains item #____): 40’ boxcar; Orange & White scheme, Road #506
*custom painted by Tioga Trains.

- Accurail (Tioga Trains item #____): 40’ boxcar, Orange & White scheme, Road #512
- Accurail (Tioga Trains item #____): 40’ boxcar, Orange & White scheme, Road #501
- Accurail (Tioga Trains item #____): 40’ boxcar, Orange & White scheme, Road #510
*custom painted by Tioga Trains. The orange is much darker than the Bev-Bel cars.

- JMC (item #____): 40’ boxcar, Orange & White scheme, Road #540

- Bowser (item #41275): 40' boxcar; Orange & White scheme, road #505
- Bowser (item #41276): 40' boxcar; Orange & White scheme, road #507
- Bowser (item #41277): 40' boxcar; Orange & White scheme, road #510
- Bowser (item #41760): 40' boxcar; solid blue scheme, road #512
- Bowser (item #41761): 40' boxcar; solid blue scheme, road #517
- Bowser (item #41762): 40' boxcar; solid blue scheme, road #522

- _____ manufacturer (item #____): 40' boxcar; Orange & White scheme, road #513

- Keystone Locomotive Works (Item #395-114), Caboose
*this item is listed in the Walthers 1988 HO scale catalog on p.100. It doesn't have a picture, price is listed as "TBA." There is a sad history on this. Originally conceived in the late 1970s, a lot of research was done in preparation of this model. KLW was a business run by a couple. However, when the husband passed away in 1983 the kit was put on hold and never materialized. The wife still runs KLW. She wasn't sure why the item was in the Walthers 1988 catalog.

- Freshwater Models: A&A Sandhouse
*Announced on the forum several years ago, for different reasons this was never produced.

S Scale
- nothing known

O Scale
- Mike’s Train House (Item #30-74009); 40’ boxcar, Orange & White scheme, Road #507

- Buffalo Creek Graphics (item #OH121B); 40’ boxcar; solid blue scheme, Road #512; "Standard" paint scheme
- Buffalo Creek Graphics (item #OH121A); 40’ boxcar; solid blue scheme, Road #517; "Assigned Service" paint scheme
- Buffalo Creek Graphics (item #OH121A); 40’ boxcar; solid blue scheme, Road #521; "Assigned Service" paint scheme
Buffalo Creek Graphics' website: http://www.trainresource.com/Arcade_Attica.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*the models were produced by Weaver for Buffalo Creek Graphics

O Scale Tinplate
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #201); tender, black with orange lettering; no Road #
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #403); boxcar, yellow body with red roof and trim; Road #403
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #301); gondola, black body with yellow lettering and trim; Road #301
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #501); coach, orange with black lettering; Road #504
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #901); end cupola caboose, red with gold lettering, black roof; Road #901
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #901); center cupola caboose, red with gold lettering, black roof; Road #901
- United States Toy Train Company (Item #___); station, orange with black and white trim and paper label that says "Curriers"
*See this link for a discussion of their A&A models, including a picture: http://cs.trains.com/ctt/f/95/t/191709.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*Here is a link with a posting related to the USTTC: http://cs.trains.com/ctt/f/95/t/205683.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
*Here is some more information on the USTTC: http://www.tcawestern.org/usttc.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Large/G scale
- nothing known

Decals
- Modern Rails: has decals available in several scales for A&A equipment.
- Walthers: O scale, #279-10; set for Orange & White boxcar
- "k4_Pacific" (ebay seller) selling assorted decal sets in HO and G scales
 #1260997  by reinhardtjh

I have an HO model that I bought at a swap meet. I have no idea who produced it. I cannot find any markings on the model to indicate the manufacturer. It came in a Walters X-29 40' steel boxcar box, but it's labeled for PRR. It's the orange & white color scheme but the car # is 540 which is totally wrong. I'm pretty sure it's commercially painted/printed. It doesn't look like a custom paint job.
 #1417661  by joesbag

Benjamin - You can add these to your list:

The hardware store in Arcade (Rossiers?) that used to be in the former TV&C train station building just to the west of the tracks on Main Street (catty-corner from the depot) sold train sets consisting of an AHM "Casey Jones" 4-6-0 steam engine and a set of combine and coach passenger cars. That's the only place I remember seeing them growing up. Don't know if a local person painted the engine and cars or if it was done by AHM. The cars were orange with black lettering along the sills but it was not in the "circus" typeface or font and were just the "old timer", relatively short AHM cars. I used to have the set as a kid. I picked up a combine and coach on Ebay a couple of years ago so they are out there, likely at swap meets in the area.

In addition to the Athearn/Tioga Trains boxcars (one of mine is road number 504 in addition to 501-503 and 505-506), there were also A&A HO boxcar kits manufactured by JMC in the orange and white scheme. Road number was 540 which I believe the A&A never had - correct me if I'm wrong. You can pick these up at swap meets from time to time. This is likely the car that reinhardtjh is referencing below.

I have a Accurail HO A&A boxcar with a road number of 510. These cars along with being a bit of a darker orange also had more prototypical doors mimicking what the A&A boxcars had. Don't know how many more road numbers there are out there.

KVAL Hobbies in Buffalo (sad to see them go) sold HO scale Bachman GE 44-ton models - road numbers 110 and 111 - in the black and orange 1970s and 1980s paint scheme, prior to the A&A going back to their original as-delivered diesel orange and black paint scheme.

There were also HO models of the solid blue paint scheme boxcars the A&A had prior to their orange and white box car paint scheme. In the 1970s there were two such cars sitting on the spur to the former location of the M.C. and C.M. Drake feed mill west of downtown, just to the south of where the tracks cross Highway 39, and east of the Ford Farm Implement dealer. The one model I have of this car has a road number of 513. The railroad had a work car or material car made from one of these boxcars at one time during the 70s and 80s.

Anyone else have more information to add?
 #1428386  by Benjamin Maggi

joesbag wrote:Benjamin - You can add these to your list:

The hardware store in Arcade (Rossiers?) that used to be in the former TV&C train station building just to the west of the tracks on Main Street (catty-corner from the depot) sold train sets consisting of an AHM "Casey Jones" 4-6-0 steam engine and a set of combine and coach passenger cars. That's the only place I remember seeing them growing up. Don't know if a local person painted the engine and cars or if it was done by AHM. The cars were orange with black lettering along the sills but it was not in the "circus" typeface or font and were just the "old timer", relatively short AHM cars. I used to have the set as a kid. I picked up a combine and coach on Ebay a couple of years ago so they are out there, likely at swap meets in the area.
Thanks Joesbag. I will incorporate the many items you listed. This "Train set" is a real puzzler. I have seen references to the AHM Arcade and Attica 4-6-0 engine before and recently discussed this with Tony Cook, who is the editor of the HO Collector Magazine (a new publication I found very interesting). The A&A engine was listed in the AHM catalog, but not as a set nor were there mention of coaches. I wonder if those were custom painted and combined with the AHM engine by the hardware store. I have seen some pretty poor-looking A&A coaches on Ebay, but they usually appeared to be Mantua or Bachmann repaints by modelers. Nothing I saw appeared to be commercially printed/painted/decaled. So, I don't know. If you ever come across pictures or other info on those sets I would love to know about it.
 #1429275  by joesbag

Benjamin - I'll have to dig around to see if I still have the 4-6-0 engine. I'll post a couple of photos of the passenger cars that were part of the set. Thanks for compiling the list!
 #1430391  by jr

Benjamin,

"For what it's worth", the Woolworth's in the Bradford, Pa. mall carried an extensive line of AHM in the early 70s. They had the A&A 4-6-0 for sale for a while. I did not have the funds to purchase, unfortunately.

I believe that the primary lettering scheme was for IC 382 (Casey Jones).

JR
 #1442828  by joesbag

Ben - I don't seem to have the 4-6-0 model any longer. Too many moves. Photos of the passenger cars of the set are attached:
A&A Combine.pdf
A&A Coach.pdf
 #1447604  by Benjamin Maggi

Thanks for the interesting pictures! They don't look like they are decaled, more like printed. Somewhat professional, if you ask me. I am surprised I haven't come across them on EBay.
 #1447862  by joesbag

You are right Ben they are not decaled. Almost like the lettering is stamped on the cars.
 #1514245  by Benjamin Maggi

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:05 am I updated the USTTC listings above to include the red caboose that wasn't featured in the promotional blurb in the CTT magazine.
Surprisingly, the USTTC released 2 different style cabooses in the A&A scheme! I updated the listing to reflect the other type.
 #1514946  by Benjamin Maggi

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 am
Benjamin Maggi wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:05 am I updated the USTTC listings above to include the red caboose that wasn't featured in the promotional blurb in the CTT magazine.
Surprisingly, the USTTC released 2 different style cabooses in the A&A scheme! I updated the listing to reflect the other type.
Here are the models I have, including the two cabooses. I don't know how to upload the pictures directly here. Admittedly, the pictures aren't the greatest.
https://dandhcoloniemain.blogspot.com/2 ... odels.html
 #1564242  by jr

Found this image on Facebook, which had apparently been grabbed off of an eBay sale in 2020.

AHM 5151-C

JR

#1569719  by Benjamin Maggi

Nice picture of the AHM engine Joe! However, if it sold on Ebay in 2020 it must have lasted for seconds as I check daily and never saw it.