Railroad Forums 

• Acela Replacement and Disposition Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1482409  by east point

There may betravel demand for a NYP = PHL- BAL - WASH express route during rush periods/ The MARC segment of that route is subject to delays dues to the parts of 2 and 3 main tracks. Amtrak delayed 2 MARC trains this afternoon so the MARC trains had to wait for Amtrak. 1 - 10 minutes & 1 = 15 minutes.
 #1482430  by Greg Moore

Backshophoss wrote:Good luck getting the FRA to approve a mixed setup of overhead wire with 3rd rail on the MN Hudson Line to Harmon.
They are not happy with the mix of catenary and 3rd rail in NY Penn now!
I think if this were to happen (elect me dictator :-) the goal would be to replace the 3rd rail with catenary.
For the longer distances, not much point to 3rd rail...
 #1482500  by ExCon90

gokeefe wrote:Yes, I recall the previous discussion. The only reason I'm optimistic now is because of the exceptionally high levels of ridership. I feel that the service is in new territory right now and as it continues to grow that may make express service realistic again.
I think what killed the previous express services was the lack of any intermediate stops (except Newark?). A few intermediate stops, if they resulted in improved transit time, should have no problem filling seats. (Also, during those halcyon days air travel was not the trial and frustration it has become; that might make a nonstop rail service more attractive now than it was then.)
 #1482501  by east point

Once schedule time between NYP and WASH is under 2"30 we suspect that will become one milestone increasing riders. Under 2:00 who knows ?
Train2009 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH-3FsmU6KQ

Interesting you tube. One minor fault. Much of the CAT depicted is the present PRR variable tension CAT. No way the units could go at the speeds depicted.
 #1482506  by gokeefe

ExCon90 wrote:I think what killed the previous express services was the lack of any intermediate stops (except Newark?). A few intermediate stops, if they resulted in improved transit time, should have no problem filling seats. (Also, during those halcyon days air travel was not the trial and frustration it has become; that might make a nonstop rail service more attractive now than it was then.)
I will think the changes in air travel are particularly relevant. This is why I think Acela Regional is a real concept that should be considered. Run the older trainsets on the local routes and this might help support running some trainsets as true "express" perhaps even "Acela Limited" or "Acela Direct".
 #1482507  by gokeefe

Here's the craziest idea of them all ... Take all the First Class cars from the old trainsets and create four trainsets running Acela Elite, limited stop all-first class service only. This kind of service would potentially even compete with corporate jet travel.
 #1482530  by mtuandrew

gokeefe wrote:Here's the craziest idea of them all ... Take all the First Class cars from the old trainsets and create four trainsets running Acela Elite, limited stop all-first class service only. This kind of service would potentially even compete with corporate jet travel.
That... isn’t a bad idea, soaking senior executives and the like for their money - go get a literal red carpet for them too. While you’re playing mix-and-match, you could add a second bistro car for seven cars plus two power cars.
 #1482536  by gokeefe

Can't add length. Won't fit in the servicing facilities. I think just completely rebuild the cafe and change it to a lounge format with a wet bar. High tops in the middle, seats on the sides, top shelf behind the bar.

"High margin alcoholic beverages" as Mr. Norman would say.
 #1482581  by gokeefe

Taking the "all FirstClass" concept a step further ... Have a tie in with Amtrak Guest Rewards ... For example 100% bonus points for reservations by Executive tier members on Acela Elite. Right now FirstClass reservations on Acela yield 50% bonus points for members in the "Executive" tier.

The benefit could cascade downwards.

If you want to get an idea of just how much Acela has affected things take a look at reservations for KDCA to KLGA. First class doesn't even exist anymore (!). I know that's "ho hum" to some people but it seems pretty significant to me when we know that there is strong demand for premium travel fares WAS-NYP.