Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1481527  by b&m 1566

I'm going to go ahead and throw a knuckleball into this thread. Now before I go on, I just want say, I don't believe the railroad will expand south, east, west or north for that matter (Quebec Jct) but that is just my humble opinion.
I just read an article earlier today (I can't for the life of me find it right now), about restoring the ski slopes and gondola rides (that cross over rye 16.) in W. Ossipee. The owner of the land wants to bring the area back to its former glory, bring new life back into that community and he's got the money to do it (among other things, he owns the radio tower at the top of Nickerson Mt). The article mention about building a restaurant at the top of Nickerson Mt., that could be accessible by the gondola rides, adding nature trails and things like that. With the new adventure the Conway Scenic has ventured into with Attitash (which I thought would never happen), could something similar take place for the W. Ossipee area, to connect the Ossipee Valley area with the Mt. Washington Valley? The ROW does offer some scenery (Chain of Ponds and Silver Lake). With atleast 3 different investors (state, railroad and private) could the restoration of rail down to Mt. Whittier Station be plausible? If W. Ossipee is revitalized, would or should expansion be considered?
 #1481544  by gokeefe

Private cash could make any of it possible ... Wouldn't take too much but the owner would have to be really committed. I don't think the ROI is there not enough potential volume.
 #1481545  by John Smythe

I know what the announcement will be, but will not comment on it now. It is interesting to have learned that I'm not the only one who reads this website & does some deep thinking. Like always, only one ingredient is necessary for success & that is determination.
 #1481573  by highrail

[Doesn't the Silver lake railroad run along the row by silver lake?]

It does...not in action this year. At any rate the entire ROW would need a rebuild...doubtful that you will see that amount of money necessary for the rebuild to get this line active...