Railroad Forums 

• Conway Scenic Railroad (CSRX) discussion thread

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#1479018  by Jonathan

CSRR573 wrote:this ^ Im pretty sure ive read that theyre lease prevents them for operating jan 1st to march 31st. Also I believe the conway branch is technically a designated snow mobile path during this time and the csrr cannot operate on the line despite them owning it
How can they plow the line? Also could you post a link when you come across it again?
Last edited by MEC407 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1479034  by bpiche84

Conway Scenic doesn't own the mountain division. They have an operational lease with the state of New Hampshire to run trains from April to December. If they wanted to run in the winter they'd be limited to operating on the Conway branch (which they do own).

The snowmobilers lease the row Jan-March and are actually pretty good about when they go over the tracks. All of the bridge decks are boarded up to prevent damage to both the ties and the snowmobiles, and the row is wide enough in most areas that going down the middle of the tracks is usually avoided.

Steam in the snow is a special exemption on the lease and used to be the official ending to the operating season. I believe they would sometimes run trains in January up until steam in the snow both for the little bit of revenue and to keep the line clear.

The snow plow that's been sitting on a turntable track is only used if they need to clear deep snow off the line. Think multiple storms between operation days or a blizzard level event. Otherwise they just plow with the operating geep (573\1751) since they all have the small plows on them.
 #1479049  by b&m 1566

Those snowmobile clubs, I'm pretty sure have invested money into the ROW, I'm not so sure bumping them out would be a good idea. The only two cases that I can recall where the tracks have become year round use, was directly related to NEGS and NHCR, both are common carrier railroads operating on common carrier tracks. The state and snowmobile clubs are powerless to prevent them from using those tracks in the winter if the demand is there. Conway Scenic is not and neither are the track they operate on, so I'm sure the state has a lot more leverage when it comes to allowing or not allowing certain things.
 #1479061  by Jonathan

I see it this way. Attitash is now a train stop. If CSRX and Attitash want to work together this winter as well, they can call the snowmobile clubs and say that they want to run ski trains on that part of the line. Mr. Swirk would love to do that but that's just my thoughts.
Last edited by MEC407 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: excessive quoting
 #1479073  by Mikejf

b&m 1566 wrote:Those snowmobile clubs, I'm pretty sure have invested money into the ROW, I'm not so sure bumping them out would be a good idea. The only two cases that I can recall where the tracks have become year round use, was directly related to NEGS and NHCR, both are common carrier railroads operating on common carrier tracks. The state and snowmobile clubs are powerless to prevent them from using those tracks in the winter if the demand is there. Conway Scenic is not and neither are the track they operate on, so I'm sure the state has a lot more leverage when it comes to allowing or not allowing certain things.
We are talking about the Conway Branch. State does not own the Conway Branch. And, I do remember the trails being closed on the Conway Branch not too long ago. 5 to 10 years..tops.
 #1479076  by b&m 1566

It was in reference to running shuttle trains during the winter for Attitash. The Conway Scenic can do as they wish with the Conway line, they own it.
 #1479130  by flyingfox10

Snowmobile clubs do not pay to repair washouts, or other such work as that is not in the agreement. If a washput occurs on private land, the owner pays for the repair. If it was a sole designated trail then possibly. However the state and railroad have paid for all repairs to the right of way. The only thing the snowmobile club buys are the snowmobile gates to block access to non trail areas, as well as material for the bridge decks.
 #1479189  by b&m 1566

They own the Conway branch from the Albany town line to Mountain Junction. The state owns everything else east and west of the junction and south of Conway. I've never heard the name Mountain Branch before, so I don't know what that is.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1479201  by b&m 1566

They have a 10 year operating lease with the state. It's the same thing the P&L, NEGS, NHCR and M&B all have. They all have lease agreements with the state. The Conway Scenic leased the line starting back in 1994, renewed again in 04, 14 and will bid again, when it goes up for bid again in 2023.