Railroad Forums 

• Delaware & Ulster Railroad (DURR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1478730  by Tmasterdu447

Otto Vondrak wrote:Technically, some of the track at Highmount belongs to Ulster County and could be ripped up at any time. DURR had an agreement in place with CMRR to use the tracks that were just over the county border. DURR approached CMRR about rehabbing and operating the tracks down to Pine Hill, but Ulster County expressly forbid it. That was back in 2013.

As for DURR doing "better" than CMRR, I'd only agree based on the fact that DURR operates on a privately-owned right of way backed up in part with the support of a private charitable foundation; and CMRR is dealing with a hostile county government that places severe restrictions the corridor on which they operate.

Everything else is unsubstantiated hearsay.

Anyhoo, what equipment is DURR purchasing, and what will happen to the locomotives already on the property? Motive power issues seemed to plague DURR over the last few years.

-otto-

Doesn't stop the DURR going and asking for a lease/permit with ulster county...

As for the CMRR in Ulster County... They had 35 years to restore track from mp 3 to 41.5 and they only restored mp 3 to 6.5, and mp 21.5 to 27.5. Making 9.1 miles out of 38.5. Horrible company decisions is what is killing that place. Not the county, they promised ulster county to have the track restored and they didn't. If I was the county I would be pissed...

The locos on the property, the 5017 and 116 are operational and in good health. They are just expanding business...

If you get down to the DURR, I'm sure there are familiar faces that would be glad to talk to you!
 #1478874  by Otto Vondrak

Tmasterdu447 wrote:Doesn't stop the DURR going and asking for a lease/permit with ulster county...
Sure, they can be turned down again, like they were in 2013.
As for the CMRR in Ulster County... They had 35 years to restore track from mp 3 to 41.5 and they only restored mp 3 to 6.5, and mp 21.5 to 27.5. Making 9.1 miles out of 38.5. Horrible company decisions is what is killing that place. Not the county, they promised ulster county to have the track restored and they didn't. If I was the county I would be pissed...
Not sure where you get your facts from, but it's fairly well documented that the county blocked efforts for CMRR to expand and repair track, not to mention never sent FEMA-approved repair projects to bid and allowed the railroad to fall further into disrepair. Not sure $1 million a year in revenue is "killing the place" but you're entitled to your opinion. Not saying the CMRR hasn't made mistakes, but I'm not sure what to make of someone who just joined a couple months ago and posts under a fake name (I understand you were once president of the LIRR from 1911-1914 and Canadian National Railways from 1922-1932).
The locos on the property, the 5017 and 116 are operational and in good health. They are just expanding business...
So they are getting rid of 1012 and 5106?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ottomatic77/35772395301" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you get down to the DURR, I'm sure there are familiar faces that would be glad to talk to you!
I'm sure there are, I've got a few friends who work at DURR, it's a neat operation. Unfortunately, I don't get down that way much anymore, and I'm asking my questions here.

-otto-
 #1488735  by airman00

This is great news but bittersweet at the same time. And one has to wonder, why now? If the DURR was turned down in 2013, at a time when ulster county was seeking to rip up tracks ASAP, why all of the sudden now their ok making a deal with the railroad? Something doesn’t add up here... but still this is great news for the DURR!
 #1488821  by BandA

“There is no fee for the use of the 930 feet of track, but in exchange, the Delaware & Ulster Railroad is going to be responsible for maintaining, trimming and repairing the line, including Galli Curci Road, which goes up to Belleayre and is the last road in Ulster County,” White said.

The agreement also gives the railroad the ability to construct a station area where passengers can access and disembark from the trans, and it provides a "siding run-around."
What a contrast. Did the ski area made a campaign contribution?
 #1488902  by New Haven 1

This is good news but, I now have to ask questions.

The U&D did run their RS36 up to Highmount 5 years ago when trackwork was done with the same thought of returning at that point.

What changes have occurred to the track between Arkville and Highmount in the 5 years that have passed?

Does the U&D have the funding to take this on?

What is Mike Hein's motivation? Is he hoping that this will drain the U&D's finances to the point they collapse totally and the rest of the corridor can become yet another rail trail extension?

Sorry to be a downer but,I just don't trust this guy regarding anything when it comes to dealing with railroads. His stance on them is painfully clear.
 #1488918  by lvrr325

It's not even 1000 feet of track, there could be a ton of factors behind him letting them use it and none of them prevent him from destroying the rest of the line.
 #1488939  by airman00

So basically the county exec lets the DURR use the run-around siding, and in the process makes himself look good. Like he’s not completely anti-rail after all. The real point here is that the DURR wanted to go MUCH further. All the way to Big Indian to be exact. And in he end when the county exec finally says ok to the DURR all he allows is just slightly beyond the run-around siding? I agree with Mr. New Haven, something sure stinks around here.
 #1488967  by thebigham

airman00 wrote:So basically the county exec lets the DURR use the run-around siding, and in the process makes himself look good. Like he’s not completely anti-rail after all. The real point here is that the DURR wanted to go MUCH further. All the way to Big Indian to be exact. And in he end when the county exec finally says ok to the DURR all he allows is just slightly beyond the run-around siding? I agree with Mr. New Haven, something sure stinks around here.
The railroad can not go to Big Indian. Ulster County removed the Big Indian bridge:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=211402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1488974  by New Haven 1

It may be old news to some but, for the sake of myself and others who may not know, I just put a post in the Catskill Mountain thread asking Ernie if he ever received a response from Ulster County regarding the fate of the Big Indian girder spans. Its a bummer to see that but thanks for posting Chris.
 #1488981  by airman00

thebigham wrote:
airman00 wrote:So basically the county exec lets the DURR use the run-around siding, and in the process makes himself look good. Like he’s not completely anti-rail after all. The real point here is that the DURR wanted to go MUCH further. All the way to Big Indian to be exact. And in he end when the county exec finally says ok to the DURR all he allows is just slightly beyond the run-around siding? I agree with Mr. New Haven, something sure stinks around here.
The railroad can not go to Big Indian. Ulster County removed the Big Indian bridge:

http://photos.greatrails.net/s/?p=211402" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I knew that part, that the big indian trestle was removed. I was just making the point that the DURR wanted to go much further east and all the ulster county exec allows is only the use of the run-around siding, plus a little more. The real question here is WHY the county exec is offering so little trackage for restoration when they COULD allow the DURR to go as far as they are able to.