Railroad Forums 

• **LONG ISLAND PRESERVATION NEWS**

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1466895  by MADDOG

ConstanceR46 wrote:What simulators did you receive?
HI there,
Last year, we were fortunate to receive a call from the LIRR that they were disposing of much unnecessary equipment through sales/scrap and they offered up the M7 and DE/DM simulators.
Since we already have the M1 simulator on site and the DE/DM fit nicely into our Oyster Bay line, we decided to take both units.
Our riggers picked them up in December, I believe and they have been storde in their warehouse on L.I.
In order to get them onto our grounds, we have to prep the property.
That is they reason for them to come up to our yard in advance.
We have been so fortunate to have found such a great company who can get the job done!
Thanks you for your interest
MADDOG
 #1467011  by MADDOG

ConstanceR46 wrote:Time for an idiot-level question; how will they train people without simulators? VR?
Not an idiot question at all!
The LIRR has acquired a state of the art convertible simulator. It has the capabilities of running
M7-M8-M9 and can be updated with any new contracted M??
It also has been programmed to run the DE/DM engines. I’s a multi function unit.
Now all they need is the one unit instead of many. Frees up space in Hillside
MADDOG
 #1467506  by MADDOG

From the Oyster Bay RR Museum.
Our weekly update folks.
After meeting up in the yard, we began by moving all of the Ping Pong Coach seat cushions from inside the vestibules to dry storage inside one of our 40ft parts trailers.
After that was completed, a group of volunteers, Lynbrook Danny, Joe, Hicksville Danny and I headed over to the Historic Train Station and set up a few tables so we could organize an assembly line in order to begin the restoration of the Ping Pong windows. As noted here in previous posts, we removed all 34 windows and put them into the bathroom of the station building for safe storage.
After setup and plugging in our power tools, we took the 2 windows which had come apart and studied their assembly. We found that the side pieces were wrapped in a thin fabric to help ease the up and down slide capabilities while the top had a fabric weather strip and the bottom had a rubber weather strip which conformed to the slope of the window sill.
Both the top and bottom strips are toast!
I have contacted a company that produces rubber weather stripping to see how much it would cost to duplicate this rubber piece and see if they have something we could use for the top, which I doubt.
After a couple of hours, we had worked our plan which included paint stripping and a full sanding/polishing of all of the trim parts along with the cleaning and degreasing of the springs and latches to ensure the mechanisms function properly.

I figured that it should take us an hour to complete every window with a 2 person team, so, if we can get 4 people to work on 2 window at a time, we could finish up 6 windows a day or. That means we should be done in less than 7 days assuming nothing goes horribly wrong!

While this was occurring, Fred and John P were busy making a template for the tender. When the unit was moved to Mitchel Field way back when, many rusted out pieces were cut off and now we are at the point of fabricating new parts for re-installation. Unfortunately, after a while they realized that they will need a different method to create this template, so They will tackle it again next week. Fred also worked with Steve T to do a few minor repairs to our trailer while John P added new anti-freeze to Dinky 398. He then turned on the block heater and after a half hour or so, started the engine. It was quite nice to hear the NHC-250 start up so easily.

After we finished up, The guys left and I headed back to the yard to work on the Ping Pong's Bathroom door window and lock assembly.
Last week, we removed the door as a unit and I removed the window frame and glass. After putting the highly decorated glass panel in safe storage, I moved into our shop to clean off the almost 100 year old, nasty/crusty paint from what I later found out was shiny chrome trim pieces.
I then turned my attention to the lock assembly. I took a photo of the inside mechanism and then sprayed everything with cleaner/degreaser and removed all of the parts for final cleaning.
I took the empty assembly to the bench in order to take off all of the paint and found that the entire assembly was solid brass. I polished it up real nice and reassembled it. After testing it, It worked beautifully, so I set it aside for future installation.
When the coach gets sandblasted, we will have our contractor sandblast the door too.
 #1467625  by MADDOG

ConstanceR46 wrote:Decide on paint for the Ping-Pong yet?
No and since we haven’t begun the sandblasting yet, I’m In no hurry. It’s a procedure with a bit of research on our part.
A board decision will be the final resolution.
MADDOG
 #1468241  by MADDOG

OBRM update for April 7, 2018
HI Folks,
so in the wake of another called storm, only 3 daring individuals made the trek up to Oyster Bay yesterday.
That's OK! If I could have stayed home, I would have too. No worries.
It was actually a very nice day, weather wise as the sun came out and I was indoors.

BUT-We did divide and conquer.
George stayed at the Ping Pong Coach to clean up and get it ready for its Pre-Wash next week.
We are planning on having the volunteer firefighters from the Atlantic Steamer company on Main Street come over to power wash the interior.
I know what you are all thinking. DOG! Aren't you getting the car sandblasted?
Yes, we are. However, During the process that we undertook, a lot of dust and dirt has accumulated over every part and if we can get it removed for free, the blasting should take less time to accomplish. Less time=less money!

While George stayed busy, Bernard and I went over to the Historic Train Station to begin the window restoration.
Previously, we removed all 34 windows and 2 of them were coming apart.
During the removal, we notice that some windows weighed considerably less than others and we found out why. REPLACEMENTS!
most of the windows are heavier and they do not have FRA safety glass. The lighter ones have FRA safety glass and weigh quite a bit less.
Thankfully, the 2 bad windows were made of safety glass which made them easier to repair.

The first thing we did was remove the operating mechanisms at the bottom for cleaning and lubrication. After ??? years of opening and closing and banging and whatnot, these mechanisms were all gunked up and the interior tongues that moved in and out in the frames didn't all worked freely and some were bent. These parts are made of brass and will need to be heated and straightened out. You can clearly see this piece on the bottom left.

Bernard and I took the window frames apart and sanded them down. They are aluminum and the exterior was painted, while the interior had a general grime to them.
We also took off the upper window frame seal which we will need to procure and replace as well as the molded rubber seal on the bottom of the windows.
I have identified 3 manufacturers who I will send a sample to see if they have anything that will work as a stock replacement before giving up and having custom rubber molded just for this job.

In this photo you can see Bernard has laid out the actual glass pane so we could add the weather stripping around it

Here is the weather stripping that goes around the glass. Due to its thickness compare to the non-safety glass, there is an interior piece of rubber coated metal that has to be place into the groove before it goes around the glass.

As I mentioned before, the frame is aluminum that has had the exterior painted. There are 3 layers of paint to be removed. This car was sandblasted prior to getting to the Knox and Kane RR.
The two vertical pieces of the frames are wrapped in a thin, soft, felt material to help it slide better.
We also removed this felt material and polished up the vertical pieces which appear to be stainless steel.

I am hoping, that we can finish up all 34 windows in about 6 weeks or less. My plan has been to get at least 6 windows done per day.
With just the 2 of us and taking at least 1+1/2 hours each to repair the 2 bad windows, we still were able to complete 5 windows

Next Saturday, I will re-install the 3 operating mechanisms that we took off and plan on getting at least 6 more windows done.
The more people who show up, the better the assembly line.

MADDOG
 #1473139  by MADDOG

Greetings folks!
I heard that it was an exciting day for the Oyster Bay RR Museum Volunteers.
George, Bernard and Leon had things well in hand when the riggers, Scott and Greg arrived from Pedowitz Trucking to re-arrange many things in the yard in order to accommodate the arrival of our 2 ex-LIRR simulators.

Today they received the M7 and the DE/DM units after moving a sign from between the 2 hacks (#50+#12) where they then installed the crossing shanty,
They then moved out the tender trucks from behind the Ping Pong Coach to a more accessible area where they will have new axle/wheel/bearings assemblies installed next month.
Then, the frame for the tender was moved parallel to the Ping and finally, the civil war era, single-cylinder steam engine was unwrapped, removed from its platform and moved to the front of the yard to an area just next to the Worlds Fair Alco cab unit and re-installed.

Then the fun began when the riggers removed both simulators from their truck and brought them in and installed them against the fence on the west end of the yard. From the front gate, you can easily see the diesel unit looking right at you! Until we have an opportunity to go over the interiors and create a smooth walkway into them, they will not be accessible. This could take a couple of weeks depending on the weather.

Unfortunately, this forum doesn't seem to be cooperating with Photo Bucket and I can't upload any photos that I was sent today!
You'll just have to go to our Facebook page later, to see them.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult.
MADDOG
 #1473598  by MADDOG

Backshophoss wrote:Suggest you try another photo hosting provider,Photo Bucket wants $$$$$$ to allow public hosting of photos. :( :( :(
Any suggestions?
I'm open for any assistance, however, for now, you can go to our Facebook page to see photos or come up to Oyster Bay to see them in person!
MADDOG
 #1473604  by ConstanceR46

MADDOG wrote:
Backshophoss wrote:Suggest you try another photo hosting provider,Photo Bucket wants $$$$$$ to allow public hosting of photos. :( :( :(
Any suggestions?
I'm open for any assistance, however, for now, you can go to our Facebook page to see photos or come up to Oyster Bay to see them in person!
MADDOG
Imgur works good, or coinsh.red if you're into free software (Conish has a easier user interface IMO)
 #1473619  by MADDOG

Thank you Constance, however, you gave me coinsh.red and conish. 2 different spellings and neither one seems to work.
Can you please clarify which one is the one you recommend?