Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1426193  by SecaucusJunction

Looks like the first phase of the new signal system will be cut in this weekend. I guess the old Erie signals along Rt17 will be gone shortly.

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet. ... ntId=15544" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1427680  by R92

Yes, the old signals are starting to disappear - Driving along Route 17 in Sloatsburg I noticed the new signal at CP Sterling has been cut in. The signals at MP 33.2 right next to Route 17 just before the Thruway have been removed. Also in this area, it looks like the new communication huts have been energized – each have a white LED pilot light mounted on the side. North of Sloatsburg, the signal at the Contractors Road grade crossing in Tuxedo and the signal at MP 39 near the intersection of Route 17 and 17A are both still in place and working.
 #1430984  by TDowling

As someone who has lived in Orange County for quite a while, I can safely say that it is rather hard to get around via public transportation, yet it is possible.

These improvements would give the local economy a boost, bearing in mind that the loss of the Main Line actually did not deal a fatal blow to businesses here.
 #1431121  by trainbrain

I don't think the new yard would be that big at all and the existing yard in Port Jervis would continue to be the main base for the line. Currently Port Jervis accommodates 9 trains. Trains 42 through 58 are all on their first run of the day and train 62 is the first where that isn't the case, getting it's set from train 43.

In another thread, someone posted that MTA planned to have 22 trains each direction with the new yard vs only 14 now. That means another 8 departures in each direction each day. I'm guessing one to two more trains in each direction could go all the way to Port Jervis, and that means 6-7 trains departing and terminating at the new yard. That means a maximum of 6 sets will need to be stored in the new yard and likely less than that.

I assume this upgrade means double tracking from Sloatsburg to Harriman. No way the Moodna Viaduct gets double tracked and there's already a siding around Campbell Hall.

I think the new yard will allow for reverse peak service in both rush hours, and improve mid day and evening service. If any other full length run were added, I would think it would be in the late evening, or as a reverse peak train going all the way from Port Jervis. I think a rush hour super express going all the way from Middletown to Secaucus without stopping could also be possible, as the short turn runs would handle passengers at the further east stations.
 #1468660  by SecaucusJunction

With the signal and track upgrades moving along again, a question came to mind.

MTA (slightly) shortened the siding from Harriman to Central Valley on the east end so the siding would end before the station platform begins, which makes a whole lot of sense for ease of boarding/detraining on one platform.

I was wondering why the same wasn't done in Otisville. I believe there are daily meets there that need to cross tracks on the little wood platform to board/detrain. The signals being installed are still just west of the platform

Anyone know?
 #1468753  by EuroStar

I will venture to guess that this has to do with stopping on a switch. First, it is not a great practice to be stopping on a switch in order to pick up or drop off passengers, but second and more importantly, detecting the presence of a stopped train on a switch is to say the least cumbersome and more error prone for the signal system. I am not sure if detection of a stopped train on a switch is done even in places such as Penn Station or Hoboken Terminal. Given that Harriman is one of the stops with the largest number of riders, all trains for the foreseeable future will stop there -- the extra hundred or so yards of track did not give any advantage over the shortened configuration, so what was the point of having them? If I have to guess, the switch was there first and the station came second. The stopping on the switch was tolerable before PTC, but now the trouble is just not worth it. The platform configuration was probably not a consideration at Harriman.

Otisville appears different. The trains do not stop on the switch and given the low ridership (lowest ridership on the line), the platform configuration was probably not deemed an issue.
 #1469206  by TDowling

Does anyone know offhand where the passing sidings will be built; how much more track will be required to make the pjl fully double tracked, assuming that comes to fruition?
 #1469296  by Backshophoss

If there's enough room for it,a running repair shop at Campbell Hall yard would be nice,allowing MN to keep the WOH fleet in better condition
then what MMC can handle now. :wink:
 #1469405  by njtmnrrbuff

I believe that the new double track is going to go as far as the south end of Moodna Viaduct. It would be nice to make the whole viaduct double track as well as through Salisbury Mills-Cornwall. Campbell Hall would be a pretty logical place to have the yard, especially if many of the trains would go as far as Middletown-Town of Walkill.
 #1469453  by SecaucusJunction

They're not going to be double tracking it, at least as of now. They are planning on adding 2 mile long passing sidings just west of Tuxedo station, just east of Moodna, and just west of Middletown. That would increase the sidings on the line to 6
 #1469831  by mackdave

The Moodna Viaduct uprights are designed for double track, but the two horizontal steel beams are centered on the uprights. With the installation of additional beams on the outsides of the existing steel, the second track could be installed by shifting the existing track to one side, and the new track on the other.

mackdave
 #1472142  by Jeff Smith

Service Improvements: MidHudsonNews.com
Metro-North president outlines West-of-Hudson service improvements
Railroad officials plan to increase the number of weekly trains from 27 to 44 and that would be accomplished by installation of three passing sidings and a mid-point yard, funding for which would hopefully be included in the 2020-2024 capital program.

The railroad is also developing plans for a Woodbury Common station, which Rinaldi said would help resolve traffic issues in that corridor. “This would be a wonderful opportunity to alleviate some of the congestion in the area. It’s a real major destination for tourists all over the world. This would build upon Governor Cuomo’s commitment to expand public-private partnerships and would do much toward expanding transit access to the Port Jervis [line].”