Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1460924  by R36 Combine Coach

BuddR32 wrote:The M1-M6 design was considered antiquated by the time the M7 came around. Also, changes in crash-worthiness, egress windows and the like the design would be totally different anyway.
It is impressive a 1968 design would still be in production in 1994. Much like CTA's 5000s share the same car shell as the 2600/3200 and basic design from 1976 (2400 series). That and the 1970 NJDOT Comet design (lasting to 2001).

The closest analogy in the automotive world be the Jeep "SJ" (full size) Wagoneer, introduced as a 1963 model and lasting 29 years to 1991.
 #1460953  by Head-end View

Matt and James, I understand about missing the sounds of the M-1/M-3 series cars, but the M-7's have their own unique sound. Notably that high-pitched electronic hum when they accelerate which then winds down when they come to a stop. That's a cool sound too and some day after the M-7's are replaced, railfans of today will miss that. :wink:
 #1460962  by Nasadowsk

The traction motor howl at above 60 or so. Oh, and the brake release noise. PATCO's cars had much the same sounds pre-rebuild, too...
 #1461021  by MattAmity90

Oh yeah, I forgot about those noises. The first time I rode a M7 I fell in love with the acceleration and deceleration noises, and I've grown to love the hum they make when they idle with the fans on the roof and that sound it makes when the acceleration noise changes to that sound that is similar to shifting into a higher gear on the stick shift. It happens when it reaches a certain speed (I think 25-30 MPH) after it leaves the station.
 #1461041  by DogBert

LINYARailfan wrote:What day and time will the next set of decommissioned M3s be sent on FCIX flat cars from LI City to Fresh Pond via NYA to be sent via CSX to Frontier Metals for scrapping? I may want to try to see them being sent off the property in LI City and in the Bronx. Thanks.
All of this is at night, hate to say it but your chances are really slim unless someone in the know can tip you off in advance - then you might get them on hell gate or laying over a few hours in the bronx.
 #1461078  by Backshophoss

The FCIX flats took a side trip to E Bridgeport,to take some wreck remains that MN wanted GONE.
Not sure on what the cycle time to/from Frontier is.
 #1461164  by Nasadowsk

MattAmity90 wrote:Oh yeah, I forgot about those noises.
Somewhere in my pile of files, i have a pretty high quality sound recording of an M1/3 train stopping at Mineola. In stereo...
 #1461192  by ConstanceR46

Head-end View wrote:Matt and James, I understand about missing the sounds of the M-1/M-3 series cars, but the M-7's have their own unique sound. Notably that high-pitched electronic hum when they accelerate which then winds down when they come to a stop. That's a cool sound too and some day after the M-7's are replaced, railfans of today will miss that. :wink:
brring whevvv wherrrrrrrrrrrrrr "This is the train to Penn Station. The Next Station is Aburndale".

Love those cars.

edit: Also, some designs are built to last. MiG-21 fighters, first designed in the 1950s, were being churned out by china until 2013.
 #1461213  by BuddR32

Nasadowsk wrote:The traction motor howl at above 60 or so. Oh, and the brake release noise. PATCO's cars had much the same sounds pre-rebuild, too...
PATCO cars are 1968 BUDDs as well. The propulsion and braking system was probably nearly identical. I think they also have the Budd Pioneer trucks, like the M1 (M3 doesnt)

The M1/M3 cars had a motor-alternator which has a continuous moderate pitch whine. LIRR M3s no longer have them, but MNR does.

The window grille fans on the M3s are air intakes for cooling the traction motors, the M1's TM cooling was an intake right on the motor, which would suck in snow, dirt and everything else.
 #1469712  by BuddR32

Word is that the two MP-72s and M1 cars that were holed up at Arch Street were moved to the Wheel Spur Yard for scrapping.
 #1469821  by BuddR32

DogBert wrote:Confirmed. Were the M1s NYCTM property? They were parted out at some point.
9745-6 Give to NYTM, but never taken. They were also never parted out. The two museum pairs were (and are) fully functioning, minus the contact shoes removed and HVAC evacuated. Everything worked when they were moved form hillside and they were the last two (4) M1s on the property. I remember they sat in the HMC Boneyard powered up as we were finishing up the M7 acceptance. All four cars gave a good power test & brake test.
 #1469829  by ConstanceR46

BuddR32 wrote:
9745-6 Give to NYTM, but never taken. They were also never parted out. The two museum pairs were (and are) fully functioning, minus the contact shoes removed and HVAC evacuated. Everything worked when they were moved form hillside and they were the last two (4) M1s on the property. I remember they sat in the HMC Boneyard powered up as we were finishing up the M7 acceptance. All four cars gave a good power test & brake test.
well that sucks.
 #1469847  by adamj023

BuddR32 wrote:It has started.

9819-20, 9821-22 were moved to the Wheel Spur Yard weeks ago and were de-trucked and loaded onto FICX Flatcars. Just the other night they were put on a train to Frontier Metals in Ohio.

I'm told tonight, a few more cars are being moved from Arch Street to Wheel Spur for the same process.
The process of scrapping the rest of the M3s will start to occur when they start phasing down M3s due to enough M9’s being in service, They should use some M3s until enough M9s are in to add additional trains to the schedules as the MARC cars are doing or just use them to phase out rhe lease of the MARC cars as the M3 is paid for. The older ones left at Arch Street needed to be gone and can’t be reutilized.
 #1469901  by DogBert

BuddR32 wrote:
DogBert wrote:Confirmed. Were the M1s NYCTM property? They were parted out at some point.

Well, someone stripped some goodies out of it at some point, maybe when they sat at Arch street. They lost some door glass and cab components.