Railroad Forums 

• LIRR seeks to lease 8-21 MARC coaches (for Montauk Summer)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1468217  by Silverliner II

Backshophoss wrote:With Amtrak and NJT leasing MARC equipment,there may not be any cars available for a LIRR lease,also MARC has "K" cars still being rebuilt,
that places a "cap" on how many cars can be leased out.
NJT is supposed to be getting around 20 of them (nobody knows if they have even made the trip north yet).... Amtrak is getting several cab cars (at least three are up in Albany now with one spotted at Harmon after a test run recently). MARC has been using about 2 dozen in service (my count after doing inventory on an entire AM rush last fall) in addition to the rest of their available Kawasaki and multilevel fleet... which still leaves nearly 20 single level cars available for lease without hurting current MARC service even with the few Kawasaki cars out at a time.

Plus, after all this time, nobody has said one way or another (officially) that MARC had to break the lease with LIRR yet. as they had a multi-year deal.
SwingMan wrote:
Silverliner II wrote: And, LIRR kept three MARC cars over the winter for use on test trains with C3 cab cars.
They did not. The last test trains were in late September-early October, at which point they were sent back.
Okay. I just saw a photo somebody shot of an LIRR test train with 3 MARC coaches, a C3 cab and either a DE or DM shoving, and the caption inferred that the photo was shot either in mid-December or early January, hence the basis of my comment "over the winter." If they were gone before that, then away they went... and under the radar at that, since all of us down here missed the return completely.
 #1472035  by LINYARailfan

edflyerssn007 wrote:Any word on the MARC cars for summer service.
From what I have heard the MARC cars will not be returning to the LIRR this summer season. I don't know what the LIRR is planning on getting as an alternative solution to the problem they have with the C3 fleet; if there is one? I don't think the LIRR will be leasing any coaches this summer as there may not be any available for lease anywhere? Correct me if I am wrong but the commuters on the Oyster Bay branch will probably have to bear most of if not all of the burden cause the equipment that is used on their trains will be cut by a car or cancelled altogether.
Here is a tentative schedule for the Oyster Bay branch on Friday afternoons between 5/25/2018-8/31/2018 due to equipment shortages:
LIRR train 558 - 4:18pm HPA departure is cancelled and this set of equipment will be used on LIRR train 2708? Customers on the 4:18 from HPA to Oyster Bay will be accommodated on the next eastbound train departing HPA at 4:44pm (LIRR train 560)
LIRR train 562- 6:00pm from Jamaica to Oyster Bay will only operate with two cars (one cab car, one coach and a DE30)?
LIRR train 564 - 6:16pm Penn Station departure will be cancelled in Penn Station and that equipment will be sent out to Montauk on LIRR train 2714. A m7 electric train will shuttle the Oyster Bay customers to Jamaica and will transfer to a diesel set at Jamaica to Oyster Bay.
* there may also be reduced service on the Oyster Bay branch on the weekends and on the Port Jefferson branch on busy weekends as well like 4th of July and Labor day weekend.
Hope this helps
 #1472054  by STrRedWolf

LINYARailfan wrote:From what I have heard the MARC cars will not be returning to the LIRR this summer season. I don't know what the LIRR is planning on getting as an alternative solution to the problem they have with the C3 fleet; if there is one? I don't think the LIRR will be leasing any coaches this summer as there may not be any available for lease anywhere?
NJ Transit got a hold of 10 cars and I think SEPTA's leasing another 10 or so as well. Ether way, none left for LIRR.
 #1472109  by Silverliner II

SEPTA is not leasing any equipment at all. Six cab cars were in Amtrak's Penn Coach Yard a few weeks back, but those were enroute to Amtrak at Albany in preparation for the GCT detours. NJT got 10 (because they said 20 before checking with MARC, MARC, in turn, did not have 20 available). With 10 cars at NJ Transit, at least 6 cabs at Amtrak, and around 20 to 24 still in use by MARC including spares, that still leaves 15-17* cars available for lease if needed.

*can't remember if two or three cars were scrapped from wrecks... out of the 60-car fleet of single levels, I know 2 were destroyed in 1996 in the Georgetown Jct sideswipe/head on with the Capitol Limited