Railroad Forums 

• Septa push pull overview

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1463894  by train2

I might have some time early this week to make a stop in Philly to attempt to photograph the AEM7 operations. What exactly is the operating pattern for these things? Please tell me which lines have how many push pull sets each day? And most importantly what they do with them after the morning and afternoon runs? In other words which lines have return moves right after rush hour that are not in the public timetables? I know at Thorndale that things don't layover so they must return to Frazier. What about the other lines? Especially the NEC, are their not push pulls to Trenton and Claymont/Marcus Hook? Is West Trenton the only place they layover at the outbound end?

After morning rush hour where do they layover? Wayne, west of 30th street?

I once spent time at Temple and remember seeing a number go past so I am guessing they do back to Wayne, but on this trip I am unlikely to be able to return to Temple. Do any layover at Surburban or Market?

I do not have any timetables with me and I will download what I need after I get a plan formulated. I have always thought the AEM7s were a low return for the time/drive due to the small number on any given line. So looking to maximize what might be a one day attempt.

Thanks for any help in getting a little overation's overview down for someone that doesn't live in Philly.
 #1463897  by Patrick Boylan

It's very difficult to have anything lay over at Market East, since though service ordinarily uses all 4 tracks. I haven't been on Septa for a few years, but I had seen push pulls laying over at Suburban, which has a few stub end tracks plus the 4 through tracks. I took a quick look at the online schedules and don't see any heading to the old Pennsylvania Railroad side that don't also serve stations before Market East, except a couple of morning trips, so I have to wonder what midday trains if any they store at Suburban.
However since Suburban's the logical place to store trains ready to head to the busier of Septa railroad's 2 sides, and I bet at least some of your ride will take you through Suburban, keep your eyes peeled, and plan at least to jump off there midday.
I also remember 2 push pulls layed over midday at Fern Rock.
 #1463901  by chuchubob

Some lay over at Powellton, one or two at Fern Rock, and several at Wayne Electric. There may be others.
 #1463921  by glennk419

As Bob stated, there's usually a couple in Roberts Yard, one or two at Fern Rock and very occasionally, one at Jenkintown. I also used to see one or two at Suburban on tracks 5 or 6.
 #1464016  by R3 Passenger

I asked about the PP assignments back in January. They can be found here.
 #1464122  by train2

Thanks for your reply. To make your list make sense I will have to down load every timetable an search for those specific train numbers, that will take a bit of time. In place of that I was hopping someone could say which lines have how many, say 1 or 2 trains, and if they deadhead back as soon as they make it to the end of the line.
 #1464134  by chuchubob

A couple years ago I went to North Broad in the morning and caught revenue push-pulls inbound and outbound deadheads to Roberts/Wayne Electric.
With afternoon light I've gone to Temple station several times to see push-pulls in both directions.
 #1464141  by R3 Passenger

train2 wrote:Thanks for your reply. To make your list make sense I will have to down load every timetable an search for those specific train numbers, that will take a bit of time. In place of that I was hopping someone could say which lines have how many, say 1 or 2 trains, and if they deadhead back as soon as they make it to the end of the line.
To make it easier on you, you can always go to http://trainview.septa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and put in the train number after the address to get the schedule and status of each individual train. Such as, http://trainview.septa.org/9561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Furthermore, D9301 is a deadhead on the West Trenton Line. In past years, I have seen it deadhead through Philmont station between 5:30 and 5:40 AM. Given tomorrow night's heavy snow, it may make quite a spectacle seeing that train fly through a snowbank at track speed at the Pine Road crossing on Thursday morning.
 #1464200  by zebrasepta

R3 Passenger wrote:
train2 wrote:Thanks for your reply. To make your list make sense I will have to down load every timetable an search for those specific train numbers, that will take a bit of time. In place of that I was hopping someone could say which lines have how many, say 1 or 2 trains, and if they deadhead back as soon as they make it to the end of the line.
To make it easier on you, you can always go to http://trainview.septa.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and put in the train number after the address to get the schedule and status of each individual train. Such as, http://trainview.septa.org/9561" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Furthermore, D9301 is a deadhead on the West Trenton Line. In past years, I have seen it deadhead through Philmont station between 5:30 and 5:40 AM. Given tomorrow night's heavy snow, it may make quite a spectacle seeing that train fly through a snowbank at track speed at the Pine Road crossing on Thursday morning.
Don't think SEPTA will run that set tomorrow because of their Snow Storm scheduling which is a Saturday schedule
 #1464241  by CNJGeep

R3 Passenger wrote:Furthermore, D9301 is a deadhead on the West Trenton Line. In past years, I have seen it deadhead through Philmont station between 5:30 and 5:40 AM. Given tomorrow night's heavy snow, it may make quite a spectacle seeing that train fly through a snowbank at track speed at the Pine Road crossing on Thursday morning.
D9301 is Roberts-Elwyn
 #1464592  by train2

Someone on another FB group indicated there are no push/pulls on the NEC. Is that correct? He may have meant to say no AEM7s but I would like clarification?
 #1464598  by glennk419

train2 wrote:Someone on another FB group indicated there are no push/pulls on the NEC. Is that correct? He may have meant to say no AEM7s but I would like clarification?
There are certainly push-pulls on the NEC. Amtrak Keystone service runs push-pull with ex-Metroliner cab cars and Chargers. SEPTA traditionally had two or three push pulls during rush hour in each direction, especially on the limiteds or expresses which had fewer station stops.
 #1464607  by CNJGeep

No push pulls to Trenton, Delaware still gets one in the AM and the PM