Railroad Forums 

• Berkshire Flyer: Pittsfield - New York City Service via Albany

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1452325  by Greg Moore

BTW, not sure if this is the best place, but still more talk about Pittsfield-NYP routing through Albany.

I definitely would love to see this and if Amtrak ever gets its Amfleet 3 order with cab cars, this could make a lot of sense (since no turn would be necessary, though now apparently the wye is open to passengers on all legs a turn at Albany could work).
 #1452345  by east point

How long ago did the NH discontinue service to Pittsfield ? What was the scheduled time compared to this proposal ? Did NYC ever operate passenger trains over the abandoned Chatham - Hudson line ? If this service could start absolutely go by way of ALB but keep option by NY State for reopening the Chatham - Hudson line .
 #1452347  by F-line to Dudley via Park

Penn Central service via Danbury inherited from NYNH&H lasted all the way until A-Day in '71, but was down to strictly a Fri.-Sun. weekender schedule after 1960. NY Central service to Pittsfield via the Harlem Line was cut back to Chatham in '53; earlier it used to continue past Pittsfield onto North Adams, but was cut back in stages. Not sure if anything was ever routed direct to Pittsfield via the Hudson Line; it it was it went defunct much earlier than the Harlem Line direct because it was easy enough to hit Pittsfield on an ALB transfer by grabbing a Boston-Albany train back when those schedules were pretty frequent.
 #1452360  by scoostraw

east point wrote:If this service could start absolutely go by way of ALB but keep option by NY State for reopening the Chatham - Hudson line .
That's interesting. I never thought of going by that route. The tracks were in as far as Claverack until not too long ago.
 #1452375  by Greg Moore

No.

But that's the wrong way to look at it.

The question is, "is there a network need that can link Pittsfield to Albany and Springfield and Springfield to New Haven?"
And the answer to THAT is.... "maybe".

No one is going to do ALB-NYP via Springfield and New Haven. But folks in Pittsfield may want to go to Springfield.
And folks in Springfield already want to get to New Haven.

So, link up the schedules and make it work.
 #1452414  by Ridgefielder

scoostraw wrote:
east point wrote:If this service could start absolutely go by way of ALB but keep option by NY State for reopening the Chatham - Hudson line .
That's interesting. I never thought of going by that route. The tracks were in as far as Claverack until not too long ago.
The first ~3mi of the branch are intact and in-service to a big ADM facility between Hudson and Claverack. From Claverack to Chatham, though, the line has been gone for so long that it's tough to pick it out on an aerial view. Think it was abandoned in the mid-1950's. Not sure but I suspect the ROW has reverted to the adjoining property owners at this point. Think this line is in the same category as the B&M passenger main via Troy-- if it still existed it would be useful, but it's been dead so long that it will never return.
 #1452504  by ApproachMedium

If they were to do something like this it would have to either meet trains already going to NYP or extend trains that already run from NYP. The lack of spare dual modes as well as amfleets will hold that back. I am not sure what the turn around times are in Albany, but the entirety of the P32 servicing, fueling and most inspections beyond a basic daily inspection are all done there.
 #1452736  by Greg Moore

Since I think their goal is the "weekender" traffic, you can take just one or two of the late afternoon/evening trains, reverse them and take them to Pittsfield and I suppose deadhead them back if you need to have extra time in Albany.

But yeah, timing might be critical.
 #1461922  by Greg Moore

I'm still doubtful, but there's momentum and honestly, this is an easy pickup, Berkshire Flyer Group waiting for costs.
And it has been criticized as a naive dream.

But seasonal weekend passenger train service from New York City to Pittsfield might yet materialize, and within the next five years.
 #1462029  by Greg Moore

I don't see any turning facility in Pittsfield.

I can see this being run one of two ways, both include some form of a cab car though.

One is turn at Albany before continuing to Pittsfield.
This then means using a cab car from Pittsfield to Albany, but the train is then lined to head SB with an engine.

Or, trailing with a cab car to Albany and using the Cab car to lead to Pittsfield and then turning at the wye in Albany on the return.

Either way, you've got some backwards riding it looks like.