Railroad Forums 

• LIRR seeks to lease 8-21 MARC coaches (for Montauk Summer)

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1438094  by Silverliner II

SEPTA never had any problems with them, and SEPTA had all 8 of the cars that came up to the LIRR. As many times as I rode them while they were here, only once did I encounter a warm car, and it was swapped out of the set within a day. It's not like they don't have occasional HVAC issues with the C3's (and they are not much to look at inside, either, IMO) or the MU's, especially the M3's. And perhaps the fact that they had to jury-rig the connections to the locomotives may have a slight unintended effect on things?

Humph. 1950's-vintage equipment, indeed? The MARC cars are at least two years newer than the M3's and have the same seats, albeit in different colors. Give them a bit of time, and they'll do just fine.
 #1438197  by newkirk

Silverliner II quote: "And perhaps the fact that they had to jury-rig the connections to the locomotives may have a slight unintended effect on things?"

Maybe dutchrailnut can chime in and see if that theory holds water.

Now if the MARC cars are warm or hot, the LIRR would repair them and bill MARC ?

Is that how it works ?
 #1438201  by STrRedWolf

newkirk wrote:Silverliner II quote: "And perhaps the fact that they had to jury-rig the connections to the locomotives may have a slight unintended effect on things?"

Maybe dutchrailnut can chime in and see if that theory holds water.
From what I've seen, the MARC II's are being put on LIRR engines, not Amtrak engines. MARC cars and cabs are compatible with Amtrak engines. SEPTA was using NJT and Amtrak engines because SEPTA's cars were self-propelling via caternary.
 #1438207  by Silverliner II

STrRedWolf wrote:From what I've seen, the MARC II's are being put on LIRR engines, not Amtrak engines. MARC cars and cabs are compatible with Amtrak engines. SEPTA was using NJT and Amtrak engines because SEPTA's cars were self-propelling via caternary.
In the case of SEPTA, it was because we leased all the cars but needed locomotives to pull them. The MU's are out of the equation. The NJT set had its own locomotive simply because it came with the NJT set. The Amtrak locomotives went with the MARC sets because SEPTA needed electric motors to pull those trains.
 #1438265  by newkirk

"613 was cancelled this morning. I wonder if the MARC equipment had something to do with it."

If there are more than one car without A/C and customers are bitterly complaining to LIRR management, then that might be the case.
 #1443231  by MACTRAXX

Everyone:

Since Labor Day has now passed is this the final day - Friday September 8th - that the MARC
trainset will be operated on PJ trains 613 and 664?

If not when will the MARC equipment make their last LIRR runs for 2017?

When does the MARC equipment summertime lease end and gets sent back to Maryland?

At this point time is of the essence to be able to either ride on or photograph the MARC
train in LIRR service especially if it indeed turns out that today is the last day...

MACTRAXX
 #1443272  by MACTRAXX

GG: Thanks for the reply...Was the last runs on Getaway Friday of the Labor Day weekend?

I had two chances to trainspot PM Peak train 664 this past week and was not able to do so both
times - I had thought that this would be the last week of service for the leased MARC equipment.

I am glad I got the chance to ride Train 664 twice during August from Jamaica to Smithtown.
Good to see that there were pictures and videos posted from these services over the Summer...

It will be interesting to see what the 2018 lease brings when the MARC equipment returns
to the LIRR...

MACTRAXX
 #1443485  by newkirk

Has the leasing the MARC coaches, freeing C-3s for overcrowded Montauk trains worked ?

Were the Montauk trains less crowded, more seats etc ?