Railroad Forums 

• All things Pennsylvanian AND Keystone West

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1435857  by STrRedWolf

And finally complete: Google doc of Pennsylvianian expanded service timings

A few notes:

These use the timings I had gotten off the schedule and played around with earlier in this thread. Google Doc, of course, so copy and play.

I chose to terminate the train from PIT at PHL namely not to introduce more traffic on the NEC going into NYC. Folks can transfer onto the Regionals if they need to.

The timings used the newly posted Keystone schedule, namely as a stab at keep the equipment requirements down to maybe two extra regular trains and two sleeper sets. I kept the current Pennsy's timing, and tried to arrange the extras roughly eight hours apart and aligning with the Keystone's scheduling.

The sleeper would sit in PIT and PHL on a currently unused track until late at night, then set off and be at the other end at a reasonable hour. Any lengthening of the times on the sleeper actually would be beneficial for passengers, because it's barely 8 hours from one end to the other.

It's not the end all be all, just a theoretical. If Amtrak ends up using it, I'd like to have *some* credit... :)
 #1435858  by STrRedWolf

chuchubob wrote:Cross posted from Private Varnish topic:
Train 43 Pennsylvanian had PV BABBLING BROOK on Friday.
Departing for Pittsburgh.
My first thought was: "My that's a damn good tail car."

My second thought was: "Isn't it early for it to go to Anthrocon?" :) (Yeah, it's that time again for me, but no train this time alas)
 #1435868  by Philly Amtrak Fan

STrRedWolf wrote:And finally complete: Google doc of Pennsylvianian expanded service timings

A few notes:

These use the timings I had gotten off the schedule and played around with earlier in this thread. Google Doc, of course, so copy and play.

I chose to terminate the train from PIT at PHL namely not to introduce more traffic on the NEC going into NYC. Folks can transfer onto the Regionals if they need to.

The timings used the newly posted Keystone schedule, namely as a stab at keep the equipment requirements down to maybe two extra regular trains and two sleeper sets. I kept the current Pennsy's timing, and tried to arrange the extras roughly eight hours apart and aligning with the Keystone's scheduling.

The sleeper would sit in PIT and PHL on a currently unused track until late at night, then set off and be at the other end at a reasonable hour. Any lengthening of the times on the sleeper actually would be beneficial for passengers, because it's barely 8 hours from one end to the other.

It's not the end all be all, just a theoretical. If Amtrak ends up using it, I'd like to have *some* credit... :)
I love the idea for overnight service between PGH and PHL. I'd use it (I wouldn't even need the sleepers). As for the eastern overnight, how about the 640 leaving HAR at 5:00am and arriving in PHL at 6:45am to arrive at a friendlier time in PHL (and a little closer to the morning in HAR). The train would still leave PGH before midnight or not very much after (an extended 642 would leave PGH significantly after midnight).
 #1435871  by STrRedWolf

Philly Amtrak Fan wrote: I love the idea for overnight service between PGH and PHL. I'd use it (I wouldn't even need the sleepers). As for the eastern overnight, how about the 640 leaving HAR at 5:00am and arriving in PHL at 6:45am to arrive at a friendlier time in PHL (and a little closer to the morning in HAR). The train would still leave PGH before midnight or not very much after (an extended 642 would leave PGH significantly after midnight).
I considered that, but remember the Capitol Limited also stops there around Midnight. I think giving a buffer of at least an hour between the trains will help prevent switch contention there.
 #1435949  by gp80mac

I doubt you'd be able to run your proposed CM* train. During the night, a lot of maintenance work happens along the Keystone line east of Harrisburg. Plus there's a couple of NS locals that have to serve the industries along that stretch. There's not that large of a night window currently - so trying to run a passenger train in the middle of it is probably not going to happen.
 #1437903  by liftedjeep

-Amtrak #145 "Phase III Heritage" leading west on "The Pennsylvanian" #43 through the Narberth station. I was almost "snubbed" by an eastbound Keystone Service #666, as is evident by the cab car that can be seen passing the last few coaches on "The Pennsylvanian".

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=4752648" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ben
 #1439441  by JoeG

There was a leak in a propane gas line in Steelton. As a result Keystone trains started and ended in Middletown and buses were provided between Harrisburg and Middletown.
 #1439512  by JoeG

Turns out it took till tonight for them to declare the area of the propane leak safe and let the residents back in their homes.So I am assuming that disrupted Keystone and Pennsylvanian service. I am assuming tomorrow will have normal service.