Railroad Forums 

• ALP-45-DP Usage/Service Patterns

• Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.
Discussion related to New Jersey Transit rail and light rail operations.

Moderators: lensovet, Kaback9, nick11a

#1431941  by Sirsonic

TDowling wrote:Is there a manual option to raise and lower pantograph?
Yes.
 #1432257  by TDowling

I wonder if that is due to the fact that this technology is unprecedented in railroading? Perhaps future generations of alpdps will allow a mode change with a manual switch.
 #1432322  by ApproachMedium

No it is that way because of the limitations of the 27 pin jumper. Even when running a regular diesel on NJT the pan switch in a cab car needs to be in normal or it will do an emergency shut down of the engine.
 #1434918  by lstone19

hovercat wrote:
ApproachMedium wrote:its because they still havent fixed all of the power station problems from sandy, so they might run electric from broad street west to drover/MSU but they will run diesel broad street east to hoboken so they do not overload the substation thats not running at full capacity.
That's actually not correct. The mode change is always supposed to be conducted at Newark Broad St. coming east because of clearance issues in the depot. The catenary wire hangs too close to the train shed so when the pantograph drops it creates an arch which could potentially burn down the wire. On the occasions where the mode change could not successfully be completed at Broad St., the train had to be spotted in the depot so that the engine was not under the train shed ensuring the pantograph could be safely dropped after the mechanical issues were rectified.
I know this is a little old but I was in Hoboken just yesterday and was surprised to see my train running the diesel there, then saw the mode change at Newark-Broad, then I found this thread. While I understand the reasoning behind don't drop pantograph restrictions account low wire (I've seen that other places - I think NYP as well), I don't understand why a dual-mode couldn't just leave the pan up the whole time it's at Hoboken like straight electrics do. Is there procedural issue that forces them to lower the pantograph as part of getting ready for a trip?

The "my train" above was part of a fun trip I took to pick up some new NJT mileage for me by riding 1079 and 882 from HOB to Hackettstown (via M-B) and back (via M&E) to Newark-Broad (new mileage for me was Roseville Ave. to the junction with the old Greenwood Lake line just west of Bay St. and Dover to Hackettstown). I'm assuming from the recent comments that the mode change is made while stopped so I assume that means we ran in electric mode Newark-Broad to MSU going west and Dover to Newark-Broad going east (no opportunity to go back to electric Denville to Dover on the way out). I tried listening for the diesel but even sitting in the car right behind it, I could not hear it.
 #1435007  by ApproachMedium

part of the reasoning is if they send the train to a diesel only line they do not change on the fly, only at a station stop. So until they bring the wire to secacus thats how it is.
 #1435027  by lstone19

ApproachMedium, that makes sense. Thanks. Of course, sending an ALP-45-DP to a diesel only doesn't make sense but when the operation goes south, sometimes you just have to send the only train you have available someplace it was not originally planned to go.
 #1481681  by EuroStar

There is a rare Comet set bookended on both ends by ALP45s on the Coast Line today. It is a neat look. It is the first time I see one like that on NJT.