Railroad Forums 

• Amherst Show - January 28&29

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1414755  by dcm74

Amherst Railway Society's annual Railroad Hobby Show is rapidly approaching. Information is available at: http://www.railroadhobbyshow.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Vendor lists are available as well as the floor plan. Advance ticket purchase is available thru January 21st. Who plans to be there?
 #1414769  by B&Mguy

Do most of the booths and exhibitors accept credit cards, or is cash still the ideal payment method?
 #1414804  by dcm74

B&Mguy wrote:Do most of the booths and exhibitors accept credit cards, or is cash still the ideal payment method?
Many of the vendors accept credit cards. Sometimes there are individuals selling off their collection who may only accept cash. There are several ATMs available if you need cash for a purchase.
 #1415689  by jwhite07

Like everywhere, it seems, acceptance of credit cards at the Springfield show seems to be more prevalent now. Good internet connectivity and card swipes/chip readers have replaced the old carbon-copy manual imprinters that nobody except the big vendors owned or wanted to deal with, and even small vendors can just buy a Square and an app and do transactions on an iPhone without much investment in Point of Sale equipment. Cash is still universally accepted, but it's probably impractical for the hardcore amongst the hobby community to carry around such a massive wad of twenties to satisfy all of their purchasing goals at a show like Springfield. :P
 #1415826  by dcm74

An added bonus this year. The Peppersass Cog Railway engine #1 - the locomotive that built the world's first mountain-climbing cog railway, the Mount Washington Cog Railway (The Cog) in New Hampshire - is celebrating its 150th birthday this year.

Peppersass has left its home in the White Mountains of New Hampshire to tour the US and generate awareness of The Cog and its 150th anniversary in 2019. Visitors will have an opportunity to get up close to see and learn about this wondrous and historic engineering marvel.
 #1417519  by Tower35

I heard from a very good source that Bob's Photos will again be in West Springfield across the street from the show. He'll be at the Regency Inn on Baldwin Street. Hours are on Friday and extend through the show with hours that extend beyond show hours. Time to pay him a visit and pick up more for the collection!
 #1417532  by dcm74

Another large attraction.
Boothbay Railway Village is bringing a 1925 H.K. Porter steam locomotive (live and UNDER STEAM!!!; located outside!!)
 #1417576  by lexon

I have been going there since it opened.
Nice to see more ATM's. Remember, one ATM at the entrance to the BLC with long lines.

From now to at least the 29th, WC predicts forty to fifty with maybe rain the second day of the show. Sat 40 degrees and partly sunny. Sunday 40% chance of rain and 39 F.

BUT, this is New England.

Rich
 #1418064  by dcm74

A little more detail on the REAL live steamer.

For 2017, the Boothbay Railway Village will be bringing a live steam engine to the Railroad Hobby Show. The locomotive was built by the H K Porter Company in Pittsburgh in 1925 for the Raritan Copper Company in New Jersey. H K Porter specialized in industrial locomotives, and the Boothbay locomotive was one of eleven owned by Raritan Copper. The 2-foot gauge engine will be set up outdoors at the Railroad Hobby Show, operating on approximately 100 feet of track under its own steam power. Boothbay Railway Village operates a fully certified boiler shop and completed restoration of the H K Porter locomotive in 2014.
 #1418705  by dcm74

#11 from Boothbay has arrived. It's off the truck and on the rails. It will be fired up and running Saturday and Sunday.
 #1418929  by jwhite07

Cash is still universally accepted, but it's probably impractical for the hardcore amongst the hobby community to carry around such a massive wad of twenties to satisfy all of their purchasing goals at a show like Springfield.
Personal anecdote here - I had a brief moment of insanity where I considered buying a brass locomotive. The price was way above what I was willing to carry in cash, I never carry my checkbook with me anywhere nor do I use "no brand" ATMs, and the vendor did not accept credit cards. Alas, no sale for him. I took it as a sign that it was not to be, which was confirmed later that night by my wife's reaction when I told her I'd even contemplated such a purchase! :P

Good show this year. Can't recall the exact number but something above 19,000 attendees over the two days.
 #1419188  by cjvrr

Does that count include kids? I know I got in and paid, but my 15 and 11 year olds were free.