Railroad Forums 

• Silverliner Vs Out of Service - Technical Topics

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1400555  by MaggieL

glennk419 wrote:Media reports this morning indicate that the 18 cars which were returned to service have once again been pulled due to a "new" unspecified defect. This is not good news at all.

http://6abc.com/traffic/repaired-septa- ... t/1508045/

More details here: http://www.iseptaphilly.com/blog/SLVRepairUpdate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1400580  by silverlinerfan22

Limited-Clear wrote:Yesterday the set that was going to Doylestown ended up on a stub track at suburban
To pull them that quick is not good. I talked to a Conductor today who wasn't surprised. He said he worked the repaired V's and "something didn't sound right underneath" I watched Knuppel on the news explaining it. He looked and sounded like a used car salesperson. :P
 #1400634  by pumpers

From this link:
MaggieL wrote:http://www.philly.com/philly/business/T ... pairs.html
Feet that are forged directly into the beam, rather than being attached with either a weld or pin, would be the surest way to prevent problems in this area, officials have said. SEPTA said no options are being ruled out long term, but said the pins are a safe solution and will get cars back on the rails as soon as possible.
“The forged would have taken longer,” Knueppel said. “I’ve got to try to get back to the weekday schedule.”
Also, a comment: Clearance holes too small, new hardware designed without looking at actual cars, ..., This is really embarrassing,especially when they knew everyone would be watching the results closely. Not to mention of course the poorly designed feet in the first place and a poorly specified (or poorly monitored) welding process that started all of this. I know what it is like to make real stuff and have to make it work and know how tricky mother nature can be at times, but still...
 #1400657  by ChrisinAbington

Well the good news is that Rotem will be that much more experienced when they roll out the SLVI's.. (hopefully just kidding)
For a non-technical person such as myself, I must admit these snafu's aren't particularly reassuring once I hear about their nature.
Thank you for those of you on here who have spent the time to explain the issues dealt with. It is very helpful to a person in my shoes.
 #1400664  by Nasadowsk

BuddCar711 wrote:I wonder if these issues would have been avoided if the SL-Vs were mounted on Pioneer III trucks.
Probably not. The PIII was designed for a railcar literally 1/2 the weight of a SLV. It was a great truck in the PIII and SLIII applications, ok on the M-1s on the LIRR, but I've heard Amtrak does not like them on the Amfleets, at least once speeds get into the useful range.

Septa should have just sucked it up and gotten a modern fabricated design like everyone else uses. Getting a 40 year old design from an also-ran casting firm was a bit silly...
 #1400672  by zebrasepta

ChrisinAbington wrote:Well the good news is that Rotem will be that much more experienced when they roll out the SLVI's.. (hopefully just kidding)
For a non-technical person such as myself, I must admit these snafu's aren't particularly reassuring once I hear about their nature.
Thank you for those of you on here who have spent the time to explain the issues dealt with. It is very helpful to a person in my shoes.
SEPTA better not award Hyundai Rotem for the multilevel cars
 #1400695  by Gilbert B Norman

Funny how, once upon a time on the North side of town, were built, even if not the most aesthetically pleasing, the most reliably engineered railcars North America has ever seen. Too bad for their now-German massahs, they now are confined to designing and building escalators and elevators.
 #1400719  by Backshophoss

The truck used on the SL-V's was a licensed version of GSC design,Columbus Casting was Buckeye Steel Castings,a front
line provider of trucks to the RR's from back in the steam era...
The General Steel Casting design was their answer to Budd's Pioneer III design.
 #1400835  by EDM5970

I rarely post on this site anymore, strongly disagree with NJ moderators, but have to say this: Philadelphia used to be the home of Brill, Budd and Baldwin. I believe Westinghouse may have also assembled some locomotives near Philly, and Boeing tried their hand at trolley cars nearby. Its a shame that new transit equipment now comes from overseas builders. What happened? (Rhetorical question, I know-)
 #1400861  by Head-end View

Even after Boston MBTA's horrid experience with Hyundai-Rotem, I bet SEPTA shoots themselves in the foot and goes with them again. And with all the public criticism of New York's MTA, ya' don't see them buying this garbage. They buy commuter cars from Bombardier and Kawasaki. But I have to admit, that might be just 'cause those companies have factories in New York State.