Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Activity and Sightings

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1369101  by CN9634

Due to the eventful weekend, I wasn't able to report any sightings (if any at all). 3 units left Farnham at 0946, 2558, 2573, and 2525 I'm assuming for Newport area
 #1369340  by Fritz

CN9634,
Yesterday's southbound 710 brought 28 cars into Newport, including 16 loads of lumber, 2 loads of particleboard, 1 load of woodpulp, 1 load of propane, 1 load of fertilizer. There were also at least 5 grain hoppers, although those could have been loads and/or empties. So that's at least 21 loads, if not more. There's a pretty steep climb from North Troy to the top of the hill just west of Newport, although I don't know the gradient. Thanks for the heads-up!
Best,
Fritz
 #1369607  by csx2039

No train today, only one car southbound into Newport yesterday. 28 cars a day would be respectable, but 28 cars per week on one train just shows you that the traffic is not moving efficiently and is getting backed up... Still waiting on the big plans Giles had promised for the conn river route...
 #1369976  by csx2039

No train again today... Despite the enthusiasm for Mondays train, the fact now remains that this was the slowest weeks of the past few months with only 25 total through loads handled for the entire week. And 7 cars of local traffic.
I can't help but wonder how long the CMQ would want to continue running this line at the current traffic rate. I am at a loss...
 #1370367  by csx2039

Cmq made it into newport with 15 loads, although bringing train in in halves as they blew up a unit. I am assuming only a northbound run today...
 #1370370  by CN9634

csx2039 wrote:Cmq made it into newport with 15 loads, although bringing train in in halves as they blew up a unit. I am assuming only a northbound run today...
Yikes... which unit?