Railroad Forums 

• Vermont Activity and Sightings

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1340661  by csx2039

Funny thing is customers and connections didn't even realize there was a service disruption for 8 days... Speaks to the confidence placed in the company.
 #1340708  by Zeke

We need a mole. UTU conductor was quite cranky and a bit hostile but we do need a CMQ insider. Any takers out there ?
 #1341407  by Fritz

Hello,
Maybe I should post this to a new thread: CMQ successes... On my way home from St. Albans yesterday, I stopped by CMQ's South Yard in Newport. On track #2 were 28 cars waiting to head south (these were brought into Newport this past Sunday). At 1755, CMQ southbound 710 arrived in the yard with B23-7 2003 (BNSF paint), B23-7 2002 (ATSF paint), and 21 cars (they were going to take 7 of those cars back north, including three empty covered hoppers that were pulled from Blue Seals Feed in Richford and 5 empty ballast hoppers (MMA 300-series). Thus, waiting to go south on the WACR were 18 loaded lumber flats, 4 loaded boxcars, and 17 empty salt hoppers. Here's a link to a photo of the crew yarding the train:

http://fritz.rrpicturearchives.net/show ... id=4258350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Word from the train crew was that the large washout that had occurred north of the border was largely repaired. I am glad to see this traffic moving south once again.
Have a great day,
Fritz
 #1341446  by Townshipfarmer

Late Monday night, or should I say early Tuesday morning I counted 32 or so cars behind the b23-7's as they went threw cowansville. Biggest train I have seen in a long time on this line.
 #1341452  by csx2039

Hopefully this becomes an everyday occurrence. Not just after a week and a half with no trains running. We'll see what the rest of the week brings...
 #1341462  by CN9634

csx2039 wrote:Hopefully this becomes an everyday occurrence. Not just after a week and a half with no trains running. We'll see what the rest of the week brings...
Based on your observations? Or do you know this for sure? I've seen more than that in the past few days.
 #1341472  by csx2039

Where are you? And what do mean by observations? Are you disputing the fact that they went over a week without running to vt on account of washout? Thus the reason for traffic backup...
 #1347962  by CN9634

Near daily or every-other-day CMQ roundtrips to VT this past week and last... trains in the 20, 30 and even 40 car range.
 #1347974  by NHV 669

CN9634 wrote:Near daily or every-other-day CMQ roundtrips to VT this past week and last... trains in the 20, 30 and even 40 car range.
derailment in St. J by VRS
 #1347983  by CN9634

Another recent one or the one from several days ago which is now more than cleaned up?
 #1348033  by Townshipfarmer

On the night of the 8th I caught the north bound train in Sutton. It had two locomotives and no cars. The following afternoon on the 9th I saw the south bound train. Again with two locomotives and one covered hopper car.
 #1348119  by csx2039

They only had 1 empty covered hopper south today. I do hear that job 1 and 2 are either daily or going to be daily soon with increasing traffic to cp in montreal...
 #1348197  by NHV 669

CN9634 wrote:Another recent one or the one from several days ago which is now more than cleaned up?
The latter.

i misspoke based on my own observations via email. I had figured the car counts were up temporarily due to the ongoing repair/track outage. However, the 38 cars that went south to WRJ today have rightly proven me wrong. Shouldn't have made such an assumption from 3,000 miles away.
 #1348205  by csx2039

Most of the large trains you are seeing are because of a salt shipment that comes through once a year, it does make for some impressive trains for a few weeks. Been happening for almost 10 years now, and is just about done. Trains sizes will very likely return to normal within a few weeks.
 #1348210  by CN9634

VRS is making the Newport to WRJ roubdtrip daily starting in October according to the yahoo group.