Railroad Forums 

• Elmont/Belmont Race Track Station

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1334144  by Handtamp

There has to be more to it.

Spending 5+ million dollars on track improvements, 2 new high level 10 car platforms, associated building and 3rd rail work for 1 large event, and other smaller events doesn't seem like a great investment.

However, upgrading the infrastructure with the intention of hauling larger crowds on a consistent basis from a new facility seems like a wise investment.

We shall see.
 #1334162  by Commuter X

Handtamp wrote:There has to be more to it.

Spending 5+ million dollars on track improvements, 2 new high level 10 car platforms, associated building and 3rd rail work for 1 large event, and other smaller events doesn't seem like a great investment.

However, upgrading the infrastructure with the intention of hauling larger crowds on a consistent basis from a new facility seems like a wise investment.

We shall see.
Do you have any information that the NYRA intends on using Belmont for other large events?
 #1334182  by CentralValleyRail

GooStats wrote:I am making my first trip to Belmont on Saturday, so I have some questions:
1. With Hempstead Branch service being reduced, do you think I can get out of the racetrack area quickly enough to make the 7:33 PM out of Queens Village?
2. Somebody already bought me a round trip ticket from NYP- Jamaica. Could I use that at Queens Village (yes I know City Ticket is much cheaper)?

Thank you for any and all help.
You won't make the 7:33PM train. We barely made the 8:33PM train out of QV.. Granted we hung around a while but the crowds just to get off the premises can take close to 30 minutes.

I'm afraid a lot of people like myself who used QV bragged to their friends who waited in line last year and now there's going to be an exodus heading for QV. Especially after how last year things at Belmont Pk. Station played out. Everyone got on at QV but I don't think one more person could've squeezed on. I know it's a further walk but Bellerose maybe the safe option.

It's beyond stupid they don't have some of the Main Line trains stopping at QV after the race. At least 5 trains passed us with some PAX heading WB towards Jamaica 3 of which were on the local track. (and none of them were the ones coming out of Belmont Pk. there were 3 that came out of there)

And to anyone else going on Saturday if your leaving from NYP BUY TICKETS IN ADVANCE. We waited over an hour at the TVM's. I have some business to conduct in the city tomorrow and plan on picking up the LIRR tickets then.
 #1334196  by MACTRAXX

CVR:

1 - I would allow a 30 minute walk to QV and depending when the Belmont Stakes race gets underway -
I would leave BP as soon as possible and not linger after the race if you want to catch the 7:33 PM train
westbound from QV and getting out of the parking areas and out to Hempstead Turnpike on foot would
be the key here - if AP wins the race fans may linger longer and would help your cause...

2 - Going to Bellerose - which is a Zone 4 station - would present a fare problem because not only would
City Tickets not be available or valid here the fare is higher - $8.25 off peak one way - and with a Zone 3
off peak one way you would have to pay a step up charge to ride that extra stop...

3 - Good observation about adding westbound trains to serve QV on this Saturday evening of the Belmont
Stakes - with a portion of race attendees opting to get on trains there the LIRR should have extra trains
stopping there between 6 and 9 PM to back up the regular hourly Hempstead Branch service...

4 - If you plan on traveling to Queens Village and use the $4.25 City Ticket keep in mind that these must
be purchased and are valid only on the date of sale and can not be bought in advance...These tickets are
available beginning at 12:01 AM and are valid until 4 AM of the following day...If not you can pay $14.50
for a Zone 3 off peak round trip to QV - this would be $6 more then two City Tickets would cost but no
doubt would be better then paying the $13 off peak one way on board penalty charge...

Another thought would be using the NYP ticket office - instead of using a TVM - on Saturday in which one
can specifically ask for the "City Ticket to Queens Village" and purchase two for $8.50 for a round trip...

That's my thoughts here - MACTRAXX
 #1334207  by SwingMan

The problem with having Main Line trains stopping is a couple of things. First, most Main Line trains would be more than 8 cars, and some already have cars closed off. With at most two collectors, that could become a hindrance to smooth operation. Second, these trains have their own schedules to follow and while it may add as little a 2-3 minutes to the trains run, it changes the agenda the train must run under. Heck, they could theoretically have EB Main Line trains stop, because I'm sure there are people wanting to go east..
 #1334237  by boblothrope

MACTRAXX wrote:3 - Good observation about adding westbound trains to serve QV on this Saturday evening of the Belmont Stakes - with a portion of race attendees opting to get on trains there the LIRR should have extra trains stopping there between 6 and 9 PM to back up the regular hourly Hempstead Branch service...
It's not hourly. They cut Hempstead service to every two hours that day.
 #1334271  by alchemist

Commuter X wrote:Is spending $5M worth it to renovate a station that is heavily used one day per year?
Welllll -- there is a plan afoot to build a soccer stadium at Belmont for the Cosmos. How 'bout that, sportsfans?
 #1334339  by Commuter X

alchemist wrote:
Commuter X wrote:Is spending $5M worth it to renovate a station that is heavily used one day per year?
Welllll -- there is a plan afoot to build a soccer stadium at Belmont for the Cosmos. How 'bout that, sportsfans?
Don't hold your breath in the land of NIMBY and BANANA

Perhaps coincidentally, the chairman of the NYRA is taking an abrupt leave of absence days before the Belmont Stakes due to allegations of corruption
This being Long Island, there may be more to this than what is being reported

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/03/sport ... sence.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1334434  by Backshophoss

From the video,there were 2 Hi-level platforms built,with at least 3(maybe 4) useable tracks with 3rd rail,2 abandoned
low level platforms and the steps removed also missing 3rd rail,and the "freight track" for inbound hay and feed in place.
 #1334461  by MNCRR9000

http://www.mta.info/news-belmont-park-s ... n-upgrades" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Service Plan

While the design, demolition and reconstruction continued apace, Nowakowski and his transportation team devised a new service plan to speed trains in and out of Belmont Park Station, where, until now, inbound and outbound trains shared one track leading to Jamaica Station. To better handle the surge of fans leaving en masse after the Belmont Stakes, the LIRR will position empty trains along one track of the nearby Hempstead Branch, using a connecting spur to move them into Belmont Park Station for loading at the same time that fully loaded are leaving for Jamaica.

In prior years, the Railroad used only the west leg of the track configuration known as the Belmont Wye, which allowed just one train in or out of the station at a time, requiring trains to await track space to enter and exit Belmont. As a result of this improvement, which employs both east and west legs of the Wye, regular Hempstead Branch service will be reduced from hourly to every two hours from 3 p.m. until about 10 p.m. on Belmont Stakes Day. Still, Nowakowski said it will not be possible to transport everyone from Belmont at the same time and the wait is still likely to take two hours or more.

“We are working hard to do better,” he added. “All we can we request of customers is their understanding and patience.”

The renewal of Belmont Park Station, which was completed in just five months, was buttressed by a $1 million investment by the New York Racing Association (NYRA) to restore the covered bridge that connects the station to the racetrack. The LIRR’s investment was $4 million.

Christopher Kay, CEO and President of the New York State Racing Association said, “For nearly a year, the New York Racing Association and the Long Island Rail Road have worked together in a true collaborative partnership for all fans traveling to beautiful Belmont Park. Today, the seeds of those efforts stand in full bloom, with the opening of this new, modernized Belmont Station. I would like to personally recognize and thank President Patrick Nowakowski, as well as all of the men and women who tirelessly worked to make today’s grand opening possible.”
 #1334481  by CentralValleyRail

MACTRAXX wrote:CVR:

1 - I would allow a 30 minute walk to QV and depending when the Belmont Stakes race gets underway -
I would leave BP as soon as possible and not linger after the race if you want to catch the 7:33 PM train
westbound from QV and getting out of the parking areas and out to Hempstead Turnpike on foot would
be the key here - if AP wins the race fans may linger longer and would help your cause...

2 - Going to Bellerose - which is a Zone 4 station - would present a fare problem because not only would
City Tickets not be available or valid here the fare is higher - $8.25 off peak one way - and with a Zone 3
off peak one way you would have to pay a step up charge to ride that extra stop...

3 - Good observation about adding westbound trains to serve QV on this Saturday evening of the Belmont
Stakes - with a portion of race attendees opting to get on trains there the LIRR should have extra trains
stopping there between 6 and 9 PM to back up the regular hourly Hempstead Branch service...

4 - If you plan on traveling to Queens Village and use the $4.25 City Ticket keep in mind that these must
be purchased and are valid only on the date of sale and can not be bought in advance...These tickets are
available beginning at 12:01 AM and are valid until 4 AM of the following day...If not you can pay $14.50
for a Zone 3 off peak round trip to QV - this would be $6 more then two City Tickets would cost but no
doubt would be better then paying the $13 off peak one way on board penalty charge...

Another thought would be using the NYP ticket office - instead of using a TVM - on Saturday in which one
can specifically ask for the "City Ticket to Queens Village" and purchase two for $8.50 for a round trip...

That's my thoughts here - MACTRAXX

MACTRAXX I think your response is mis-directed at me lol. The other poster asked these questions. But if it was here's my response :P

1. I plan on making the 8:33pm or 9:33pm train depending on how well the concert is going.

2. I already have Belmont Park RT's so if that was the case I would pay the difference between a 3 zone and whatever Bellerose is. (presume a 4)

3. I agree 100% and It wouldn't take much effort. Just a little paperwork... But I guess they have others reasons for not stopping (don't want to advertise crowds to walk thru Queens Village is my guess).

4. Already got 11 Belmont RT's for a cool $154.00 LOL. (those suckers)

Will post a recap after the event.... Hopefully there will be some other RR.NET folks out there enjoying the festivities.
 #1334534  by Commuter X

How is it that a customer with a valid June monthly (say zone 4 or higher) needs to spend a extra $14 round trip to get to/from Belmont only for tomorrow?

Yet another way the MTA soaks its customers