Railroad Forums 

• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1330461  by ekt8750

NBC10's chopper just showed the locomotive (it's a Sprinter) and it looks it ran into the back of a freight train.
 #1330462  by AlexC

Here is a picture from Twitter: https://twitter.com/WordlinkLIVE/status ... 3124937728" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1330469  by SemperFidelis

First, of course, go my prayers to the victims and all those involved in the rescue efforts.

Though not an authoritative quote, an NBC reporter who was aboard the train, Janelle Richards, said that she thought though many looked in shock and bloodied, that she saw no fatalities. That well could change, of course, but I pray she's right.

Edit: Ms. Richards is a producer for NBC News. My mistake.
 #1330474  by 34thStreet

Wow... news right now showing the scene, there are police helicopters shining spotlights. I would be amazed if people in that one Amfleet survived, it was absolutely mangled. I hope I'm wrong.

I do see freight cars nearby but the news isn't mentioning anything about them and they don't seem to be damaged.

Looks like one of the amfleets hit the catenary poles.
Last edited by 34thStreet on Tue May 12, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1330476  by jmar896

Holy crap. That Amfleet is destroyed. Approximately 240 people were on the train, and it was over 9 cars. There is a decent chance that that car is empty or has very few people in it, but if it was the quite car there is a good chance it had many people in it. Another car seems to have contacted the overhead catenary which could of injured passengers. I am hoping the circuit was broken before the car was penetrated by the wiring.

Prayers for all on board
 #1330477  by jslader

I live about a mile from the accident site; the Corridor runs behind my house.

My wife heard the accident as she was removing bags from her van. The engine sound a series of short toots and then she heard what sounded like dynamite to her, and rumbling.