Railroad Forums 

• Northeast Regional 188 - Accident In Philadelphia

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1330412  by AlexC

Details are very sparse, but based on Twitter reports, it appears that Northeast Regional 188 has derailed and has cars on their sides.

Former Congressman Patrick Murphy is on the train and has tweeted photos.
https://twitter.com/PatrickMurphyPA/sta ... 41/photo/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and https://twitter.com/PatrickMurphyPA/sta ... 8447651841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The location is reported as Frankford Ave & Wheatsheaf, which is near SHORE interlocking, and the place where the railroad turns to the north to parallel the Delaware River.

Developing here: http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 36331.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by John_Perkowski on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 5 times in total. Reason: Topic unpinned 6-15-16.
 #1330413  by nomis

From a text from my Philly contact: Third alarm has been raised for the FD ...
 #1330416  by AlexC

They Philly media is starting to show helicopter views.
It appears that the cars are a hundred feet off the tracks, off the curve.
 #1330420  by ekt8750

NBC10's chopper feed just showed one coach that's completely ripped to shreds. Can't even begin to imagine what happened there.
 #1330424  by nomis

The text i got also said "Amtrak vs. Freight", if that is true or not, is irrelevant. This is at SHORE, east of North Philadelphia station, where the RR turns from Cardinal East to Cardinal North. NJT's Atlantic City Line diverges here and continues with one track of two over the Delair Bridge into NJ. Also Conrail's Delarir Branch runs alongside the NEC, there is a small yard operation there with Conrail, CSX, and NS freight trains on the 2nd track.

Thoughts and prayers for all that are involved. There appears to be a Amfleet that was bent around like a banana, and had a slight glow to it. Also saw a pic of TILX car which looked to be on it's side.
Last edited by nomis on Tue May 12, 2015 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1330425  by R3 Passenger

I am looking at the news coverage now, and it looks like at least one Amfleet car is a tangled wreck of metal.
 #1330429  by JackRussell

R3 Passenger wrote:I am looking at the news coverage now, and it looks like at least one Amfleet car is a tangled wreck of metal.
Not a lot in the way of good pictures that I have seen so far - it is awfully dark out there. I imagine that in the morning we will have much a much better idea of what happened.

As is usually the case, the initial reports by the media are probably wrong in some respect or another.
 #1330430  by AlexC

nomis wrote:The text i got also said "Amtrak vs. Freight", if that is true or not, is irrelevant.
There is a yard at this spot, and the shots are all showing tank cars. That might be where that's coming from.
Local Fox29 just showed an NS locomotive backing up.