Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1253454  by ThirdRail7

I knew 1681 hit the ground, but this article gave me a slight chuckle. Please allow a brief fair use quote:

There were 14 people onboard the train when it derailed; however, no injuries were reported, Connecticut Department of Transportation officials reported.

According to DOT officials, the train, which was headed to New Haven, had its lead wheels of the locomotive come off tracks.

Crews worked to get the passengers out of the locomotive safely.
Ok. How many passengers were in the locomotive and how long did it take to get them out?
Last edited by ThirdRail7 on Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1253463  by DutchRailnut

What is a train ?? a locomotive with cars attached !! nuff said..
if you got to chuckle about media your just as bad..
 #1253490  by ThirdRail7

DutchRailnut wrote:What is a train ?? a locomotive with cars attached !! nuff said..
if you got to chuckle about media your just as bad..
Actually, according to your rule book , a "train" is multiple-unit cars coupled, or an engine, with or without cars, displaying
a marker. So, you don't actually need cars attached.

Additionally, I was led to believe the engine derailed, not the cab car. Are you saying the cab car derailed (which is a locomotive) and passengers left that?

PS: Are you in a pissy mood because someone jumped on you in the Amtrak forum?
 #1253514  by ThirdRail7

EM2000 wrote:The definition is worded like that only for operating rules purposes. In reality a light engine is not a train. The wording of many things RR if taken literally are misunderstood.
I remember years ago talking to one of your rules examiners ( initials F. B. if you happen to remember him) before he retired and I asked him if the consist went by without markers, is it still a train and he said NO!!!

At any rate, I guess no one (except for possibly Runningwithscalpels) is on board with the whole "working to get passengers out of the locomotive" angle I was going for. You know what they say about jokes (the link is clean, you can click on it.)

I shall move on. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Note to self...never work the Wednesday show...the crowd is tough!