Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#1248721  by rpjs

Just saw the conductor dispatching the train I got off of get left behind on the platform. Won't post any details in case it gets anyone in trouble, but what will happen? Will the train carry on to its destination or wait for the conductor to catch up?
 #1248729  by Clean Cab

Are you sure it was the conductor? It may have been an assistant conductor changing trains.
 #1248731  by rpjs

Clean Cab wrote:Are you sure it was the conductor? It may have been an assistant conductor changing trains.
She was dispatching the train and was waving her torch to get the attention of the crew member at the back of the train when she realised her door had closed but to no avail. How many conductors does a peak-hour train usually carry? I know from observation that its at least two, can it be more?
 #1248732  by RearOfSignal

Faulty crew switch? It happens. Hope it wasn't his go home train. Certain situations a crew might leave a trainman at a station. If that wasn't the case here he'll just take the next train to catch up to his run.
 #1248737  by RearOfSignal

Clean Cab wrote:Are you sure it was the conductor? It may have been an assistant conductor changing trains.
Not usually in the PM Peak, just the AM.
rpjs wrote:She was dispatching the train and was waving her torch to get the attention of the crew member at the back of the train when she realised her door had closed but to no avail. How many conductors does a peak-hour train usually carry? I know from observation that its at least two, can it be more?
Every train has 1 conductor and may have several trainmen. It was probably a trainman that got left behind. It's happened to me twice before. First time the conductor saw me and opened doors again to let me in. Second time conductor saw me and left be behind because he's an idiot.
 #1249142  by ACeInTheHole

RearOfSignal wrote:
Not usually in the PM Peak, just the AM.
rpjs wrote:She was dispatching the train and was waving her torch to get the attention of the crew member at the back of the train when she realised her door had closed but to no avail. How many conductors does a peak-hour train usually carry? I know from observation that its at least two, can it be more?
Every train has 1 conductor and may have several trainmen. It was probably a trainman that got left behind. It's happened to me twice before. First time the conductor saw me and opened doors again to let me in. Second time conductor saw me and left be behind because he's an idiot.
Hahahahahhaaha.
 #1249364  by Terminal Proceed

It happens all the time - and no - the train continues on its merry way and the trainman can take the train following. Usually they will call the dispatcher to at least alert the train that someone was left behind and then that employees personal and company effects are dropped off in the office at the destination for them to claim when they catch up to it at the other end.
 #1250338  by Otto Vondrak

rpjs wrote:Just saw the conductor dispatching the train I got off of get left behind on the platform.
Damn, I didn't know they make conductors dispatch the trains now, too! Did all the RTCs get fired?

-otto-
 #1250357  by truck6018

Otto Vondrak wrote:
rpjs wrote:Just saw the conductor dispatching the train I got off of get left behind on the platform.
Damn, I didn't know they make conductors dispatch the trains now, too! Did all the RTCs get fired?

-otto-
I was kinda wondering about that one myself.
 #1250433  by ACeInTheHole

truck6018 wrote:
Otto Vondrak wrote:

-otto-
I was kinda wondering about that one myself.
Hes probably not familiar with the proper term. Cut him some slack guys.
 #1250632  by theseaandalifesaver

[quote="Otto Vondrak"][quote="rpjs"]Just saw the conductor dispatching the train I got off of get left behind on the platform. [/quote]

-otto-[/quote]
Shut up.
 #1250835  by rpjs

Terminal Proceed wrote:sounds British to me - two people separated by a common language lol
I am indeed Cispondian. Just count yourselves lucky I didn't write about the Guard giving the Right Away!