Railroad Forums 

• Delaware & Ulster Railroad (DURR) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1195854  by jmarino

airman00 wrote:
jmarino wrote:Is the d&u plan on repair the line east of Arkville ?
Would any of this help out the Catskill Mountain railroad?
Doubtful from what reading, the two railroads are pretty far apart in more ways than one
 #1195898  by eehiv

The CMRR and DURR have an excellent working relationship. Ulster County and the DURR don't.

The DURR recently offered to rehabilitate the track from Highmount to Big Indian in stages and run the Rip Van Winkle Flyer there. They have a great interest in running the train on the famous horseshoe curve, and make this the most important part of their run.

This offer was turned down by Ulster County who said they want a trail only there.

EH
 #1195929  by jmarino

eehiv wrote:The CMRR and DURR have an excellent working relationship. Ulster County and the DURR don't.

The DURR recently offered to rehabilitate the track from Highmount to Big Indian in stages and run the Rip Van Winkle Flyer there. They have a great interest in running the train on the famous horseshoe curve, and make this the most important part of their run.

This offer was turned down by Ulster County who said they want a trail only there.

EH
So besides washed out track etc Mr. Hein strikes again , count that as mileage he prevented repair also ? That's a real shame ,folks I know from the penn central days say that's quite the scenic ride , you folks working together is a great thing hope the relationship continues thanks
 #1209757  by airman00

Nice picture! I like how the tracks split from the main to go into that station. This spot is about 3 miles from where cmrr trackage begins? Either way this trackwork sounds like good news for the cmrr. I say go DURR!! :-)
 #1209775  by jmarino

airman00 wrote:Nice picture! I like how the tracks split from the main to go into that station. This spot is about 3 miles from where cmrr trackage begins? Either way this trackwork sounds like good news for the cmrr. I say go DURR!! :-)
This is great news thanks
 #1209836  by O-6-O

The U&DRRHS is looking for volunteers to cut brush this Saturday in Arkville to help clear the line to Highmount to facilitate the continuing track work.

Interested parties should report at 9AM in Arkville. Pizza lunch will be provided. Bring your gear and come on out to join the fun.
 #1209938  by Otto Vondrak

O-6-O wrote:The U&DRRHS is looking for volunteers to cut brush this Saturday in Arkville to help clear the line to Highmount to facilitate the continuing track work...
Good news indeed. Very excited to see DURR return to Highmount!

-otto-
 #1211348  by O-6-O

Well ...it's a start. The fab 5 got a start doing some volunteer work on the line up to Highmount. We ran 3 cars up to mark tie replacement, and cut back thick brush and small trees

for the continuing track work and the up coming NARCOA run. A little liquid sunshine but otherwise a beautiful day in the Catskills. Anyone looking to get involved here should contact

Doug Kadow of the U&DRRHS. The more the merrier.
 #1211866  by jmarino

Otto Vondrak wrote:
O-6-O wrote:The U&DRRHS is looking for volunteers to cut brush this Saturday in Arkville to help clear the line to Highmount to facilitate the continuing track work...
Good news indeed. Very excited to see DURR return to Highmount!

-otto-
Took ride up Monday just for look see , seen a large wash out in the spring now all repaired I Believe only looked at it from 28 GO DURR nice too see
 #1217831  by Otto Vondrak

airman00 wrote:How is the rebuilding effort by the durr going? I'm curious how far from the cmrr line they are.
From what I understand, the runaround at Highmount is CMRR trackage that is used by DURR by agreement.

-otto-