Railroad Forums 

• Lower Montauk Division Discussion

• Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.
Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1165317  by jetset

So if this train only runs with 19 pax west of Jamaica why not add a stop at Hunterspoint Ave? No more Lower Montauk means they have to pass through this station anyway (at 5 mph I'm sure).
 #1165764  by DaveBarraza

Thanks for the clarification on C and MC.

I was aware of the tansfer of the Lower Montauk to the NYA, but was unaware that the section of track would be downgraded to secondary and renamed "NYAR Secondary", which is why I posted the pic from Bliss. Thus the title, the Montauk branch now ends at Hall.

All semantics, I suppose!
 #1165825  by EM2000

The lower Montauk section is being transferred to NYA and will be freight only
You mean non-Passenger carrying trains.
 #1165864  by lirr42

Nope, just freight trains. Deadheads won't even be able to use the Lower Montauk now.
 #1165978  by EM2000

Nope, just freight trains. Deadheads won't even be able to use the Lower Montauk now.
Wrong. And btw, they proper term is equipment train, not deadhead.
 #1165992  by BobLI

Is the definition of a "deadhead" an employee riding on a pass while not on duty or transferring between runs on that equipment?
 #1166003  by SlackControl

I didn't know there was a definition for "deadhead". A lot of places refer to moving equipment not in service as deadheading. On the LIRR, equipment not in service being moved is referred to as an "equipment train", and an employee travelling while not performing service, on or off the clock, as a deadheading employee, and that train or other mode of transportation as their "deadhead train" or "deadhead vehicle".

Now, referring to EM2000's comment "You mean non-Passenger carrying trains." I think that was just a sarcastic jab at the media coverage of the *equipment train* that derailed a week and a half ago, which some reporters were referring to as a "freight train", which it clearly was since it wasn't carrying any passengers ;)
 #1166108  by Tadman

Yeah I wasn't aware that an empty train HAS to be called an "equipment train" rather than a "deadhead". That isn't to say LIRR lexicon or paperwork doesn't prefer "equipment train", but it's not worth splitting hairs over on a railfan forum.
 #1166190  by EM2000

The term "deadhead" pertains to an employee traveling on a train to/from work or during a tour of duty.
 #1166302  by Crabman1130

EM2000 wrote:The term "deadhead" pertains to an employee traveling on a train to/from work or during a tour of duty.
It also pertains to a passenger train being run to a destination while not in passenger service.
 #1166432  by Tadman

Right, the basics are a "deadhead" is commonly used for either an employee or train travelling but not working, but on LIRR the paperwork and official lingo does not use "deadhead" to refer to an empty moving train. Again, not worth splitting such minute hairs on a railfan forum.

PS - which was better, Rocky V or Rocky 5???

#1166493  by Dump The Air

Tadman wrote: PS - which was better, Rocky V or Rocky 5???

rocky 5 might be sly at his most incoherent, the entire first act is him making one long "eeehhhhhhh" noise. best one of the bunch.