Railroad Forums 

• Grenloch Branch (abandoned portion)

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1284127  by David

As stated, the tracks end just shy of the NJ Turnpike in Bellmawr. These tracks are all active except for a few sidings going to a few industries that are not operating in the industrial park. Some of these tracks are "disconnected" from the main. Under the turnpike there are no longer any tracks. About less then a mile from there, the trail begins. Hopefully some new industries will open.
 #1285715  by john burke

Does anyone know when the old steam engine trains were replaced by the Diesel ? I seem to remember as a boy sometime around the mid fifties I saw the last of the old locomotives make it's final run. John
 #1286096  by David

john burke wrote:Does anyone know when the old steam engine trains were replaced by the Diesel ? I seem to remember as a boy sometime around the mid fifties I saw the last of the old locomotives make it's final run. John

Yes--Around 1955-56 was the last of steam on the Grenloch Branch. The last one I saw was a 0-6-0 engine with a dovetail tender taking gondolas to the sand pit in Grenloch. I could view the trains from my back yard in Mount Ephraim.
 #1298878  by john burke

I long for the old steam locomotives so I took a ride up to Stroudsburg Pa. and took a ride on the Stroudsburg Railroad. It was to great to see the black smoke and steam coming out of the engine and to get a wiff of the smoke once again. It reminded me of a time back in the fifties when steam ruled. I'm not a big fan of the diesel.