Railroad Forums 

• Winslow Tower

• Discussion relating to the PRSL
Discussion relating to the PRSL

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#623003  by rrbluesman

Some of these are general tower operation questions, so bear with me. I was wondering, prior to the construtcion of the existing PRR tower at Winslow, I know there was a Reading Company Tower, was there another PRR tower there with the Reading tower? When was the Reading tower demolished? How long were shifts in the tower(s)? And, finally, what were living conditions like in the tower(s)?
 #644559  by PRSL2005

You need the book The Reading Seashoure Lines, That has the most answers for you.
And join the PRSLHS im sure you will get lots of info from the members.
 #644944  by rrbluesman

I just bought the Reading Seashore Lines, havent had the time to read it yet. I am a member of the PRSLHS, finding time to attend a meeting can be difficult. I have a weird interest in railroading through, I don;t expect there are very many people out there who know very much about how towers worked.
 #645178  by JJMDiMunno

The group TrainLawyer was referring to is the PRRSignaling YahooGroup - their group site is:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/PRRSignaling/

You have to be a member to post.

Otherwise, since you're a PRSLHS member, you might try sending an email to the group with your inquiry.

Mike DiMunno
 #659978  by RDG-LNE

The PRR did have a tower at Winslow prior to the construction of the still standing "Winslow" tower but I can't recall its name. Most of the tricks were eight hours and towards the end "Winslow" was down to being open just daylights Monday to Friday for freight service reasons. Tower life was okay if you could handle being by yourself for extended periods of times - it was either dead slow or very busy.

Drew
 #1112043  by rrbluesman

I am interested in the architectural aspects of the tower, i.e.:

Approximate Dimensions of exterior of building,
Window Sizes
Door Sizes
Floor to Ceiling Height
Interior Dimensions of the Floor Plan

Does anyone know these or can I be easily directed to a website with these? I am an architect considering a hypothetical project using Winslow Tower or one similar to it as a centerpiece. ANy help would be useful, thanks!
 #1112252  by Backshophoss

This might help,Walthers this year released a HO scale kit of a PRR "standard" tower,(pg 403,current 2013 catalog,#933-2982,$29.98).
Then by using photos of Winslow tower,you could "tweak" the details as needed.
 #1113184  by glennk419

Backshophoss wrote:This might help,Walthers this year released a HO scale kit of a PRR "standard" tower,(pg 403,current 2013 catalog,#933-2982,$29.98).
Then by using photos of Winslow tower,you could "tweak" the details as needed.
I built one of these a couple months ago, details and pix here:

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... 97&t=91503

The model is currently sold out but a second run is expected in February 2013.