Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #748460  by WSH

I'm looking for good GG1 DVD's. So far I have come across the following:

Under the Heat: Pennsylvania GG1s
Sunday River Productions
http://www.sundayriverproductions.com/detail.aspx?id=54

PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD GG-1 VOLUMES 1 & 2
Anchor Videos
http://www.train-video.com/rvp7-26d.html

GG-1, An American Classic
Not sure where to buy?

What I'd like is a video with good history and lot of interior shots and cab rides. I've found that a lot of the descriptions of these videos are somewhat vague. Has anyone seen the above mentioned videos or have any advice?

Thanks!
 #773336  by BoilerBob

I have Pennsylvania Railroad GG-1 Volume 1 & 2. The description is a little misleading. It is true that the first part is a cab ride from South Amboy all the way to Penn Station. The misleading part is, the cab ride isn't 4877, it's 4879. Listen closely to the 2nd engineer's radio transmission. You can clearly hear him give the engine number. This video was not taken with broadcast equipment, but rather home video recorder. The quality may not be the greatest, but it is better than nothing. Hope the helps you make up your mind.
 #773561  by pennsy

There are other sources of GG-1 videos. Use a search engine to locate them. I remember Mark I video, as an example. Good luck.

When the GG-1's were still running, and came out of the Sunnyside yards of Long Island City, I was fortunate enough to be friendly with some of the GG-1 Enginemen. Got to ride in them around the yard. They weren't that comfortable inside as it is in today's diesel engines. But they were a lot more comfortable than the footplate of a steamer such as the L-1s Mike.
 #1034956  by MR77100

BoilerBob wrote:I have Pennsylvania Railroad GG-1 Volume 1 & 2. The description is a little misleading. It is true that the first part is a cab ride from South Amboy all the way to Penn Station. The misleading part is, the cab ride isn't 4877, it's 4879. Listen closely to the 2nd engineer's radio transmission. You can clearly hear him give the engine number. This video was not taken with broadcast equipment, but rather home video recorder. The quality may not be the greatest, but it is better than nothing. Hope the helps you make up your mind.
If you the video the video, closely, you will see that Walter rides the 4877 out of the yard. You can clearly see the Tuscan Red paint and pinstripes on the side when he sticks the camera out the window. However, when he cuts to head-end shot, he is inside the 4879.