Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#78497  by va3ori

Just wondering if someone can help me with some background on this unit. It is a box on a single B truck with standard couplers. On top of the box is a pair of cylinders and some other paraphernalia (strobe?, etc.). On the side of the unit is the information "220 VOLTS AC WHILE CHARGING" which leads me to believe it is a giant battery on flanged wheels. It is lettered CONRAIL, is in CR blue and the photo I've seen is dated 2002 with a Norfolk Southern locomotive plainly in view in the background.

The assumption I am making is that it is a battery powered shop lug. If someone would please correct my assumption if needs be and give me some history of this critter, I'd really appreciate the effort!

cheers,
Ori
VA3ORI - VA3XW
 #87596  by Ol' Loco Guy

Your assumption is correct. It is a B truck set up to be motored by a set of loco batteries. This sounds like a NYC invention-they had at least one of these things at the backshop years ago.