Railroad Forums 

• Did the Penn Central E33 ever run in passenger service

• Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the Penn Central, up until its 1976 inclusion in Conrail. Visit the Penn Central Railroad Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: JJMDiMunno

#1123921  by Zeke

Probably not, Mitch. I was laying low in the Meadows - Enola pool around that time running back and forth about two or three round trips a week.That train is most likely Potomac yard - Meadows TV-24 or maybe Advance NE-2. 99% of the time these two trains were the only northbounds with trailers. If TV-24 was running too heavy a second section was ordered usually symboled TV-24a or Pot yard slapped the overflow pigs onto the head end of a second section of NE-2. As stated in the previous post those E-33's were murder on a TV train, they ran out of gas around 55-57 mph due to their gearing. Engineer Charlie Rouse held one side of TV-23-TV-24 at that time and would run the wheels off those trains if they gave him the railroad and two GG-1s or E-44s, run the wheels off would mean 80 to 100 mph. If he was on the job that night I can assure you he wasn't a happy camper.
 #1125135  by mitch kennedy

Thanks! TV24 rings a bell (usually after it passed Brill-sorry, bad pun!) I'll ask Bill, who worked there if the name rings a bell. Only "runner" I remembner was Joe Boder who held down the helper job you mentioned at Zoo.. we called them "Boder's Motors", in the pocket-one or 2 E44's for a bump to Paoli or even Thorn on occasion.
 #1127222  by Tadman

Mitch, fantastic night photo. I love good night photos, they're tough to take.

Zeke, I'll look that book up. I need a few books on NH and PRR electrics. Right now all my traction books are on the MILW and midwestern lines.