Railroad Forums 

• Leslie Ragan Art

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#492711  by ariovistus01

Hello, I am looking for information on a somewhat obscure Leslie Ragan/ New York Central painting/print. If memory serves, the image depicts a fantastic steel mill towering over the 20th Century limited. Hank Rearden, Dagny Taggart, or John Galt would approve! I have only seen what was said to be the original work, in poor condition, auctioned on ebay many years ago. It is not one of the typical New York Central posters usually available... If anyone has any information on this painting or where I might obtain a copy of the image, it would be greatly appreciated!

#492948  by Aa3rt

ariovistus01-I've moved this thread to the New York Central forum where, hopefully, one of our knowledgeable NYC enthusiasts will be more likely to respond to your query.

Incidentally, I made an Internet search on "Leslie Ragan" and found some NYC art prints but none looked like what you'd described.

#493179  by R Paul Carey

The 1943 NYC calendar painting might be the one you are asking about.

This painting showed the westbound 20th Century Limited with its Dreyfuss-styled Hudson (5453) in the foreground, with the towering blast furnaces in the background. The location represents the area at or around Indiana Harbor, IN.

The original painting was in good condition and was placed at auction in Dobbs Ferry NY in the late 1990's. It still has its original American Chestnut frame. The painting was placed in that auction by a retired ex-NYC official. It currently is in the collection of a personal friend.

So far as I can tell, this image was never mass-produced as a poster after the original 1943 calendar run. These images are all included in the book "Thoroughbreds" by Alvin F Staufer, who also offers 8-1/2 x 11" copies (or at least he did until recently...)

I hope the above information is helpful to you. If you desire any further information, please contact me off line.
 #746037  by Mike Roque

From a drive-by post (via email):
Reg Templeton wrote:At least as recently as 1982 a copy of that poster was displayed at the Grand Concourse/Gandy Dancer Saloon in the Station Square development at the old P&LE terminal in Pittsburgh PA. That is where I got my copy, but I am still looking for an original. It is a very dramatic illustration.
 #746374  by chnhrr

Scot

That’s a great image. That design was done when smoke stack industries where hip. I don’t think that poster would have had the same effect with solar panels in the background.
 #820929  by hubandspoke

I noticed the last reply/post was from late 2009 so here goes 6 months later.
I just found this print from the original 1943 NYC calender, let me know if this helps you in any way.
I am slowly sifting thourgh a variety of RR ephemera,books and magazines from Barney Neuberger /OWEN DAVIES in assorted condition.