Railroad Forums 

• Preserved NYC locomotives

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1243046  by lvrr325

Do any former NYC GP35s still exist? Is there a source for post-CR dispostions on them? Some were dynamic brake and some weren't. One was an EMD Demo. I know some PRR, at least one RDG and one EL unit remain.

One U30B may still exist, former 2888, then "O&W" 901, then Georgia Central 1007:2. There were a couple more in Ohio and operable for a long time, but the resale market was nil and they were cut up.

In an act of desecration similar to the M&H Chapter, the CNY NRHS had a NYC GP7 for a while, but they scrapped it without ever even trying to do anything with it.
 #1243068  by scottychaos

lvrr325 wrote:Do any former NYC GP35s still exist? Is there a source for post-CR dispostions on them? Some were dynamic brake and some weren't. One was an EMD Demo. I know some PRR, at least one RDG and one EL unit remain.

One U30B may still exist, former 2888, then "O&W" 901, then Georgia Central 1007:2. There were a couple more in Ohio and operable for a long time, but the resale market was nil and they were cut up.
One known NYC GP35 survivor, NYC 6149, now SLGG 1010:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPi ... ?id=156872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nineteen known PRR GP35's.

One known NYC U30B: NYC 2888 - GE U30B - Georgia Central 1007- ex GVT 901 - Lackawanna Valley 901 - CR/PC/NYC 2888
NYC 2887 has been scrapped..(just learned that just now)..I will update the page:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/Scotty ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If anyone has any other updates, please let me know..
that original survivor list was made in 2006. some updates have been made, as I learn of them, but there are probably more updates and corrections to be made.
thanks,
Scot
 #1262554  by scottychaos

Steve F45 wrote:Not sure if its preserved or not, i can't seem to find any pics of it. But what kind of loco was #484?
Not sure what #484 you are referring to.
there is only one 484 on the NYC survivors list, Morristown & Erie 484, and its a FL9.

Scot
 #1263314  by Noel Weaver

The only New York Central GP-35 that had dynamic brakes was the 2399 (Penn Central number). This was also the one that was displa7yed at the World's Fair.
Noel Weaver
 #1263782  by Steve F45

the numberboads and plaques that i was bidding on at an online auction, not ebay, were very small and number was 484. I was on rrpicturearchives.net and a few numbers not far off showed alco s2. I lost the auction but i'll see if i can find a pic of the numberboards.
 #1263785  by Steve F45

Steve F45 wrote:the numberboads and plaques that i was bidding on at an online auction, not ebay, were very small and number was 484. I was on rrpicturearchives.net and a few numbers not far off showed alco s2. I lost the auction but i'll see if i can find a pic of the numberboards.
 #1263846  by bill8106

Steve F45 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:the numberboads and plaques that i was bidding on at an online auction, not ebay, were very small and number was 484. I was on rrpicturearchives.net and a few numbers not far off showed alco s2. I lost the auction but i'll see if i can find a pic of the numberboards.
The NYC's S2s were never numbered in the 400 series, as a matter of fact, I don't think any Central diesels were ever in the 400s. The Indiana Harbor Belt did have Mikados in the 400s, and those numbers are in the older (pre-WW2?) serif font that the Central used. So if they are of NYC heritage, they may be off of an IHB steamer.

A picture of IHB #410 is on this site: http://www.dhke.com/ihbarchive/stmpix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1263854  by bill8106

bill8106 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:
The NYC's S2s were never numbered in the 400 series, as a matter of fact, I don't think any Central diesels were ever in the 400s. The Indiana Harbor Belt did have Mikados in the 400s, and those numbers are in the older (pre-WW2?) serif font that the Central used. So if they are of NYC heritage, they may be off of an IHB steamer.

A picture of IHB #410 is on this site: http://www.dhke.com/ihbarchive/stmpix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scratch that theory. Per May and Staufer's "NYC's Later Power 1910 -1968", the IHB rostered 25 Mikados, numbered 400-424.
 #1263861  by BR&P

Any chance the number boards are off something totally different? For some reason the first thing that popped into my head seeing them was one of the D&RGW 3 foot gauge steamers.
 #1263888  by Steve F45

sorry for the S2, for some reason i thought i saw it when looking for the number on rrpicturearchives, however what about a RDC? There is a m-453 that i can't see the number board to well. Did they have the "M" on the numberboard?

i had hoped to win the auction, but it went for alot more then i was going to spend. Oh well, maybe next tiem i'll find something like this and put in a higher bid.
 #1264268  by bill8106

Steve F45 wrote:sorry for the S2, for some reason i thought i saw it when looking for the number on rrpicturearchives, however what about a RDC? There is a m-453 that i can't see the number board to well. Did they have the "M" on the numberboard?

i had hoped to win the auction, but it went for alot more then i was going to spend. Oh well, maybe next tiem i'll find something like this and put in a higher bid.
Unfortunately none of the Central's RDCs or any of their motor ("M") cars were ever numbered 484. The only piece of equipment I found that had that number was a Budd kitchen/lounge built in 1947 and number boards and font aren't a match. Here's a picture of one of the cars from that lot: http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/nyc465.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. In later years the number and letter boards were painted dark gray with white letters and numbers, but again I don't think the font will match.

If you're still curious about finding out if a NYC locomotive ever wore #484, I think your best bet is to find a roster of 19th century steam power.

Bill
 #1267079  by lvrr325

scottychaos wrote:
One known NYC GP35 survivor, NYC 6149, now SLGG 1010:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/LocoPi ... ?id=156872" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
thanks,
Scot
Something's up with that unit. I can follow it back to OHCR with their renumbering on faded Conrail paint and it has dynamic brakes. I found a slide on eBay showing CR 2393 in 1993 in Conrail paint without dynamic brakes and unaltered. Did it aquire a different long hood between 1993 and 1996, or did OHCR renumber another unit to wear that number and it's since been assumed that was it's Conrail number? I'd even go so far as to wonder if they did an off-the-books swap to get this unit in place of 2393 after buying 2393 and finding some major problem with it.

Interestingly, while it's still in Progress Rail paint, it's OHCR/MAW mate, ex-CR 2257, became a BNSF GP38-3.

Appears these were the only ex-CR GP35s on OHCR.