Railroad Forums 

• Mohawk Division Mileposts

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1448023  by urrengr2003

Just viewed a photo on another website taken yesterday of the automatic signals at Fonda NY. They were numbered 371-1 & 371-2. Highest MP on the Mohawk was always 280; how is this new numbering possible with signals being numbered to the tenth of a mile?
Before directing my comments to a more proper forum, be aware this still is the Mohawk Division and always will be to those of us who grew up and worked there.
 #1448063  by Backshophoss

Not sure if CSX has changed where ever MP 0,0 was,might have changed when Amtrak took control of the Hudson line and the line west
of Albany.
The "Division post" between CSX and Amtrak might be at mp 165(from GCT)
(Checked a scanned CSX Albany Division ETT dated 11/01/2004, on the multimodalways site)
 #1448512  by Railjunkie

Just found the photo in question and that does not look like Fonda NY to me. Qualified on the Mohawk and havent heard of any numbering changes out there. Ill check my CSX stuff when I get in today. IF they have it will be fun next week when I go for my re fam trip.
 #1448523  by BR&P

Well, let's start with the easiest. 371 would be Rochester. Post a link to the pic in question and see if that's where it is.
 #1448544  by Railjunkie

There was no change to the mile posts on the Mohawk. I'm gonna guess and say it might be the next curve past whore house curve. Been a while since I went past SYR.

That's the way I learned that curve when I was a conductor and is still referenced as such today.
 #1448592  by BR&P

I believe 371 would be somewhere near the depot, don't have an ETT handy at the moment..
 #1448597  by Backshophoss

MP 371.0 is Rochester station,CSX names that area as the Rochester SUB of the Albany Division CSX ETT dated 11/01/2004.
 #1448602  by BR&P

BR&P wrote:I believe 371 would be somewhere near the depot, don't have an ETT handy at the moment..
Backshophoss wrote:MP 371.0 is Rochester station
Guess I nailed that one! Image

Thanks Hoss! Now we need a link to the photo so someone who is active in railfanning around here can confirm or refute that it is this location.
 #1448607  by Railjunkie

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/635131/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thats the link. I can assure you its not Fonda. Qualified on the territory for 19 years. There are a few reasons first is there are no areas around there where the trees are that dense around the tracks in Fonda, second Ill assume the picture was taken from the north side of the tracks, one is on the north side two on the south side. So most likely the train is headed west if so there should either be farm land or river somewhere in the view. Three where are the mountains that part of the railroad cuts through the Mohawk valley and they can be plainly seen till around Utica. Rochester is my final vote
 #1448630  by Backshophoss

Fonda "yard" is MP186.2 CSX Mohawk sub,from that same CSX ETT. This could be the signals at MP 37.1 on the Selkirk Sub near CP-RJ.
Follows old NYC/PC/CR scheme.

IF that signal was near Rochester the number plate would have a 4th number ie: 3711-1 or 3711-2.
Also there would be a 3rd track visible.
 #1448757  by R Paul Carey

This is definitely the Selkirk Branch, looking west. The automatic signals seen in this photo are the distant signals to CP RJ (Rotterdam Jct.) at MP 39.6.
 #1448786  by Wayside

R Paul Carey wrote:This is definitely the Selkirk Branch, looking west. The automatic signals seen in this photo are the distant signals to CP RJ (Rotterdam Jct.) at MP 39.6.
Correct.