Railroad Forums 

• Crook in Track #1, Teaneck NJ

• Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.
Discussion relating to the NYC and subsidiaries, up to 1968. Visit the NYCS Historical Society for more information.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1085847  by chnhrr

It appears from Google satellite views that the track was eventually straighten. More than 50 years for the track crews to address this one. I guess it was not a high priority. The station and platforms pictured above are all gone. The underpass/tunnel and its stair enclosure remain.
 #1086449  by CPSK

The odd thing about this is that over the years it has never been straightened out. This track has had the rails and ties replaced countless times since the NYC days, so one would think the new rail would have been straightened. But perhaps there is a concrete abutment buried below ground level there, so moving the track would also require its removal.
In this particular case, the squiggle isn't a problem, since the speed is pretty low on that track. I don't think I've ever seen a train moving at more than 35mph on track 1 or the controlled siding.

CP
 #1087302  by pswag115

CPSK wrote:I don't think I've ever seen a train moving at more than 35mph on track 1 or the controlled siding.

CP
Both Track 1 and Middle Siding are limited to 30mph from cp10 to cp/auto 7.

Because of the multiple times this section has been rebuilt, it makes sense that there is a technical reason for the track layout.
 #1116069  by mackdave

I found the photo to answer the question (of course I was looking for something else). Taken in February 1947 by Hal Carstens, northbound coming into West Englewood on the express track.

Dave Mackay
Attachments:
(113.29 KiB) Downloaded 218 times