Railroad Forums 

• Noel Weaver's Collection and Memorial

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1519952  by NoelNephew

Hello to everyone that has posted here, paying respects to my Uncle (Bud) Noel. It has been really nice to see the positive impact he had on so many people, reading this forum and others.

There had been information posted about a service for him, but I want to pass along confirmed details, as the starting time has changed slightly. My brothers and I are trying to get the word out.

The service will be at 12:00 Noon on Saturday, September 21. The location will be at Hillside Cemetery, 76 Walnut St, Torrington, CT. Because the time of the service is earlier, we request help spreading the word if you know anyone that is planning to attend.

My Mom, Noel's sister, prepared an obituary that we'd like to share:
Noel Sterling Weaver, Jr 82, of Ft. Lauderdale Florida died on May 20, 2019 after a brief illness. Known to his family as “Bud”, he was the son of Noel Sterling Weaver and Dorris Becker Weaver. He was born in Torrington in 1936 and graduated from Wilby High School in Waterbury, CT. Upon graduation, he spent his entire working life as a Fireman and then Engineer with the New Haven RR, Penn Central, Amtrak, and Conrail. He retired as the top engineer in New England. after nearly 40 year of dedicated service. He was a highly respected railroad historian with contacts throughout the United States. With God’s love may he rest in peace. He is survived by his sister Serita W. Eisenbies, of Lincoln MA, three nephews, Chris, Mark, and Stephen and their families.

Again, my mother, brothers, and I appreciate the kind words about my uncle. I think fondly of the many times he took me trainspotting as a young boy, and often think about him when I see or hear a train pass by.
 #1569054  by Greg Moore

Oh wow, I just came across this (and can't even blame Covid).
I had heard of Mr. Weaver's demise, but not his memorial. It may have prompted me to return to my home town and to visit had I know.

In any case, his missives were appreciated and are missed.
 #1632868  by Gilbert B Norman

I first met Noel on a CNJ fan trip along the Lehigh River during September 1960.

The trip was so late that any connections X-the River to GCT would have been so late he offered me a ride home to Riverside.

We saw one another "from time to time over the years". Likely just as well not since the Brightline project was announced. He was very optimistic about such holding it would be a great success ("jury's still out" on that). I was very skeptical holding it was simply a ploy to sell the FEC to the State (it is now owned by Mexican interests).

His library was indeed extensive including many a document of the New Haven not generally circulated within the railfan community. His librarian, Mikey, sure had his work cut out with his four paws combing through the collection.

Chessie, you met your feeline match.

Noel, you're not forgotten; rest in peace.

Markers

GBN