Railroad Forums 

• East Litchfield to Winsted Valuation Maps (Torrington)

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1448696  by NortheastTrainGuy1965

Hello Everyone,

If this is already answered in the forms and I missed it I apologize. I am looking for any information on the valuation maps for the Torrington segment of the Naugatuck railroad. I have already explored UConn,s website and I own a set of CD,s with the NYNH&H Valuation Maps on them but it appears the Torrington section has been lost as Maps in the 57.72.40 to 57.72.56 as they are listed as missing.

Are there any other resources to find out the track layout in this region. I am particularly interested in the site plan for the Torrington American brass mill, Torrington company, and Warrenton woolen mill and how the tracks were laid out there in served these industries. Three of my four Grandparents worked at these factories and I would like to model the sites as accurately as possible. I am also interested in the Henley machine company and Fitzgerald company site plan layouts. Any information on the trackage that served these industries would be appreciated.

Also, does anybody remember how the new haven railroad entered Windstead when it went up Winsted Road. I have been told essential new England railroad went across the bridge that was at the entrance to Windstead and that there was tracks across Winsted Road which the new haven used to access Windstead, it’s turntable in the round house, and it’s depot.

Thanks in advance for any information anybody can give me or any leads on resources that I can use to explore this project.
 #1448811  by Ruzbasan

I have most of what your looking for in digital Sanborn maps and digital valuation maps. Contact me by my email and I can email it to you. I have also digitally modeled the entire area in real scale that you are speaking of. (I can give you screenshots of it).

Gary
 #1448812  by NortheastTrainGuy1965

Ruzbasan wrote:I have most of what your looking for in digital Sanborn maps and digital valuation maps. Contact me by my email and I can email it to you. I have also digitally modeled the entire area in real scale that you are speaking of. (I can give you screenshots of it).

Gary
Thanks, much appreciated.

Frank
 #1448863  by Noel Weaver

The issue here is that just about everything that the railroad served in Torrington is gone. I just read in the Waterbury paper that a portion of the old American Brass mill on Freight Street in Waterbury is going to become housing. I have not been to Torrington in a while (I miss it too) but the old casting shop on Prospect Street is gone and the old rod mill that could be seen from High Street was at least in 2010 still there although probably empty or anything worthwhile. Summer Street was the only street in Torrington to pass under the line but there was a track or two across Summer Street at grade to serve probably the casting shop as well as maybe more. As I have mentioned here and elsewhere American Brass was a huge operation in Torrington, Waterbury and Ansonia. The New Haven did all of their switching in Torrington so there were tracks all over the place, you might find remnants of them today but for the most part they are gone. Hendy Machine was only a shadow of what American Brass was but their switch was just east (NHRR direction) of the crossing at Litchfield Street. I think Torrington Company was probably the last big user of the railroad east (again NHRR direction) of the freight house at Pearl Street. They had one or two sidings in to the Standard Plant. When they abandoned from Torrington to Winsted they kept all of the trackage in Torrington and as far as just past the Newfield Road crossing where they had a siding for the Wadhams Company. I think they delivered coal and/or oil there. Incidentally what was Hendy Machine the property was taken over by American Brass after Hendy folded and eventually became the Stone Container of later years.
It might have been a branch line but it had a lot of freight business on it in the 1940's and early 1950's. Those were the days!!
Noel Weaver
 #1449331  by CannaScrews

NortheastTrainGuy1965 wrote:
CannaScrews wrote:http://prntscr.com/h35lfw

Thanks. This looks very recent. I didn’t,t see a date, maybe I missed it. Is this the current trackage accessible by the Naugatuck Railroad?
Sorry, left that out. The map dates from after 1957, when the Thomaston flood control dam was built, and probably no later that the early 1960s.

You might want to check out https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . You can get aerial photos/USGS topos of the area from 1934.
 #1450178  by TCurtin

NortheastTrainGuy1965 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have already explored UConn,s website and I own a set of CD,s with the NYNH&H Valuation Maps on them
This doesn't address your question but I'll ask it; You have a CD set of NYNH&H val maps? Presumably you get that from UCONN? If so, how?
 #1450194  by NortheastTrainGuy1965

TCurtin wrote:
NortheastTrainGuy1965 wrote:Hello Everyone,

I have already explored UConn,s website and I own a set of CD,s with the NYNH&H Valuation Maps on them
This doesn't address your question but I'll ask it; You have a CD set of NYNH&H val maps? Presumably you get that from UCONN? If so, how?
Actually, I found them on eBay searching for track charts.