Railroad Forums 

• CNE and connections map

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1186696  by Kilgore Trout

I've put together a Google Earth overlay with my best effort at documenting the various lines and stations of the CNE and NY&NE in the state of New York. (This is inspired by the excellent Connecticut track map and I have used their conventions where possible.) I started by wanting to sort out all of the various trackage in Poughkeepsie, and it kind of ballooned from there :) This map relies quite heavily on already available data, including:

Official Guides (1907 and 1910 consulted)
ICC valuation maps (primarily the big 1915 set)
Various information graciously published on the Internet (particularly this website, run by Bernie Rudberg, but also some others)
USGS maps, historical and current
Historical and current aerial imagery

However, to my knowledge, one map with this level of detail has not been produced before.

A couple of caveats and disclaimers:

- Each line has a different color, to help distinguish the many intersections and junctions (dark orange for the bridge company, light orange for P&E, cyan for P&C, red for R&C, pink for NY&NE, yellow for ND&C, and light green for H&CW)
- I ran into a number of mileage discrepancies between public and employee timetables and ETTs, and even between several public timetables of different eras. In a couple of locations I had to get very creative with allocating mileage, so some locations may be off (usually by less than half a mile). I have attempted to make note of this where possible.
- Some stations and other such buildings could not be accurately placed, so I guessed, e.g. by putting them on a likely-sounding grade crossing
- No Clove Branch

The map itself is attached, and I have also attached a preview image to illustrate the style I used. Any and all feedback is quite welcome - this is the first Google Earth overlay I've ever done, and I was definitely learning as I was going.
Attachments:
Sneak preview
Sneak preview
preview.JPG (88.7 KiB) Viewed 14328 times
Attachments:
(77.48 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
 #1187794  by Kilgore Trout

It's attached to my previous post, the link to the KMZ file is just above the image. Let me know if it's not working for you and I'll figure something else out.
 #1190905  by Bernard Rudberg

I have tried several different programs and none of them will open the CNE map. What software did you use to create it ?

Bernie Rudberg
 #1191318  by Backshophoss

It's Google's way of getting you to use their "chrome" Browser instead of what you are using,Google doesn't want to support their maps
on any other. :(
 #1191984  by Kilgore Trout

#1192026  by Bernard Rudberg

In the coming months I will be organizing the guide book for next years CNE historical tour.
I would like to use some of these maps as part of that book.

Bernie Rudberg
 #1192291  by The EGE

Backshophoss wrote:It's Google's way of getting you to use their "chrome" Browser instead of what you are using,Google doesn't want to support their maps
on any other. :(
.kmz files are compressed .kml (Keyhole Markup Language) geographic information files. Though the file standard was originally developed for Google Earth, it is an open standard and can be used by other applications. Bing Maps can read most .kml files, and there's even a hack on Wikipedia so that they can be used - see the pull-down map in the upper right corner of Norwich and Westerly Railway, for example.
 #1193440  by Kilgore Trout

Bernard Rudberg wrote:In the coming months I will be organizing the guide book for next years CNE historical tour.
I would like to use some of these maps as part of that book.

Bernie Rudberg
Bernie,

Wow, thanks! Send me a private message here or an email ([email protected]) when the time comes.
 #1267546  by Kilgore Trout

FLRailFan1 wrote:Kilhore Trout, why no Clove Lake Branch? When was it abandoned? Any customet
I've had difficulty even locating it - not that it's impossible but I haven't made it much past the junction. If I'm not mistaken, it was abandoned around 1900 when the mine at the end of it went out of operation.

As a side note, all, there are some updates brewing...this project is not dead quite yet.
 #1267547  by Bernard Rudberg

The Clove Branch RR connecting the iron ore mine at Sylvan Lake was abandoned in 1898 when better grades of ore were dicovered in the Great Lakes area. When the mine stopped opersating they stopped pumping out the water. It filled in and became Sylvan Lake which is now a campground. A few years ago the US Navy seals used the lake for training. They told of seeing the old mining equipment still in the deeper parts of the lake. `
 #1267549  by Bernard Rudberg

The rail line past Sylvan Lake was a couple miles northeast of Hopewell Junction in Dutchess County, NY. It connected to the ND&C RR at Clove Branch Junction. That line was intended to be part of the New York Boston & Montreal RR which was never completed. It went bankrupt in the financial panis of 1873.