Railroad Forums 

• Rock Island Stations

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#39116  by emtboo

My last vacation I went out to Iowa and Kansas and followed the Iowa Northern and The Kyle RR to get pictures of the remaining stations and what ever else I could find of the Rock Island. Found some cars, Engine facilities, Roundhouses and some other misc Rock things. If you would like to check them out http://groups.msn.com/JohnsCustomTrains If anyone knows of more RI stations that still exist I would appeciate info so I can plan my next vacation. I looked at the RITS site but I believe their list is several years old. I have also gone down the Chicago line out to Silvis and Peoria but didn't have a digital camera at that time. One interesting item found at the old Silvis shops was a SW1500 still in the maroon and yellow scheme on shop trucks. That was back in 2000 or 2001, whatever year they had the bad flood in the Quad Cities area. Thanks for any info ahead of time.

#39652  by wess

Up til the mid eighties. There used to stations at Norton, Jennings, Selden, Colby, Brewster, Goodland,KS., Burlington and Limon, CO. Those are the ones I;d seen while I still lived out there. The only ones I,m sure are still in existance would be Limon,CO., Goodland and Phillipsburg, KS. The ones that used to be at Dresden and Rexford, KS are now used as storage not too far from where their original foundations. The Rexford Depot is on a farm about a mile away, and is easily seen from the highway. While the Dresden depot is on the opposite end of the Dresden townsite
Joe

#55224  by route_rock

Milan Il has a depot the one in RI was restored and is now a resturant.Milan;s is to be a coffee shop here soon.Plus there is a station in Cambridge Illinois.Chillicothe has a real neat one.W.Liberty has a restored one plus others along the Colorado line there in Iowa still exist.The SW1500 on shop trucks was sent to another National Railway shop along with a sister unit(yes there was two there)I asked for a price as is and was floored by it.I could have bought a running SD-40-2 for less!I have no idea what has become of them.

#75603  by IAIS_69

If you travel through the towns of LaSalle, Utica, Marseilles, and Seneca the depots are still standing with the images of Rock Island to The Rock logos.

#76049  by wess

Herington, KS lost its depot not too long after the Cotton Belt took over the line. Pity too. Its was one of the few depots built in Kansas that was made from native lime stone
wess

#79381  by AmtrakFan

Joliet is still around as well as Des Moines.

John

#79715  by MikeF

AmtrakFan wrote:Joliet is still around
... As are the old commuter stations at New Lenox, Blue Island (Vermont Street) and Beverly Hills (95th Street).

#80273  by AmtrakFan

PRRGuy wrote:Isn't there a couple on the Iowa Interstate?..Chilicothe I think is one.
Yes their still some I forgot a few Peoria, Omaha, and Davenport.

John

#182451  by route_rock

Chilli has one and so does Peoria, But not Davenport. It has a DRI Milwaukee union station on the IC&E. The Rocks Depot in Davenport was over by the Police station and was torn downa long time ago. as was Moline and East Molines stations.
The one I reported in Cambridge Illinois has been moved to a park and is going to bve used as a museum now.

#184489  by spRocket

I believe Tiskilwa, IL still has its old RI depot - last time I was there it even still had the Rock Island logo on it.

#184562  by route_rock

the one in Ottawa had its lue and white R sign still when I still drove a truck. Went to ask th CSX guys if i could buy it off them and it wound up gone. Sighs

#186634  by thmitch

The RI depot in Lake Park, IA still stands. It has been moved a couple blocks away from its original location and I think it is being restored for use as a museum.

Terry

#186651  by AmtrakFan

Isn't the one in Chadron, IA still there?

#222951  by HOBO

Iowa city Ia., geneseo Ill. :-D