Railroad Forums 

• Rock Island Paint Scheme Rumors

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#480681  by Zephyr Rocket

I have heard rumors that just before shutdown, the Rock Island was contemplating a new paint scheme, something in darker colors than the blue/white scheme. Has anyone else heard similar rumors and is there any evidence to back this up?

Also, another rumor from pre-shutdown is that the Rock Island was about to put in another order of GP38-2s - anyone know how many more locomotives the Rock was planning to order at this time?

Thanks for any info!

#485558  by nssd70

The GP38-2 that CNW received in the 4600 series were from a Rock Island order,but they shutdown before receiving them.

Doug
 #504583  by NebraskaZephyr

CNW GP38-2s 4600-4634 (35 units) were ordered by the Rock Island and financing had been arranged, but RI did not take delivery because by that time the RI's management was no longer in control of the property, the KCT was running the RI under directed service and the handwriting was on the wall.

The ex-RI units were easy to spot on the C&NW at the time since they were built to RI specs (five-chime horns and no "gong" bell on the nose) and they were the ONLY GP38-2s on the C&NW roster. In fact, they were the only GP38-2s the C&NW bought new (the others were secondhand purchased in the 1990s).

None of these units ever made it into RI paint before the order was diverted to C&NW. I know several people that work/worked in the offices at EMD that scoured their files looking for evidence of any being painted or of a proposed new RI paint scheme, but no such evidence was ever found.

The "hot" rumor at the time was the light blue would be replaced by black (leaving the white portions as-is), changing the big "R" to light blue and the road name "THE ROCK" to "ROUTE ROCK", similar to how some gondolas and coil cars were painted in 1979. Have never seen any evidence of a locomotive ever painted in these colors.

The very last locomotive to be painted by the Rock Island was rebuilt GP40 3004 in February 1980 and it was baby blue and white like the other GP38-2s.

There was some other related info on propsed RI locomotive orders and roster reorganization/renumbering that I posted on another thread a while back if you're interested.

Hope this was helpful,

NZ

#505194  by Zephyr Rocket

Thank you for the information, NZ! I have always been curious as to why the locomotives always sported the "THE ROCK" logo but never the "ROUTE ROCK" logo. Perhaps the railroad was aiming at keeping the motors' look standardizing while experimenting with the paint schemes on the freight cars?

It is good to know more about the rumors and that they were never confirmed.

I wonder if the Rock considered any other locomotives at this time and if it was mostly Ingram's decision? I would assume that he knew what the best locomotives would be given his time at the FRA.

Thanks again!