Railroad Forums 

• AeroTrain Jet Rocket

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#280958  by Phil Hom

I'm looking for comments or photos showing the passenger coach interiors either before or during the CRI&P commuter service.

Specifics: Looking for how the seats were arranged in the coaches and in the rear car.
 #527366  by NebraskaZephyr

The Aerotrains and the Jet Rocket were two completely different types of equipment.

The Aerotrains (there were two) were made up of individual two-axle cars built using body and interior components from GM's motorcoach division. RI bought them secondhand strictly for commuter service.

The Jet Rocket was a set of Talgo equipment, built new for RI by ACF under license from the Spanish company that developed the Talgo concept. the Jet Rocket was originally purchased for Chicago-Peoria service but its rough riding qualities caused it to be withdrawn in less than a year and reassigned to commuter service.

The only things the Aerotrains and the Jet Rocket had in common were:

-- All three were powered by EMD's futuristic turret-cabbed LWT12. This was basically a one-trucked SW1200 (only two powered axles in a single Flexicoil truck) with high-speed gearing in a carbody that looked like it was designed by George Jetson.

-- All three eventually wound up in Rock Island commuter service.

The Jet Rocket is long since scrapped, but portions of the two Aerotrains (loco and two coaches each) were donated to the Museum Of Transport in St. Louis and the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, WI and are in existence today.

If you're still associated with EMD and still looking for interior info on the Aerotrains, I'd try contacting GM's Fischer Body Division, since they used bus parts to build the coaches.

I know this post is a bit late to the party, but I wanted to clear up this common misconception that the Aerotrains and the Jet Rocket were one and the same. They most definitely were not.

Hope this is of some help to someone,

NZ
 #564642  by espeefoamer

Thank you for the info! I had always thought Jet Rocket was Rock Island's terminologty for the Aerotrain.
 #573556  by westr

The two AeroTrains were General Motors demontrators that were leased to PRR, NYC, UP and ATSF during their demonstration tours. I'm not sure of the order, or if both trains served on all of those railroads, but they each used at least one of them. The trains were lettered for the railroad leasing them at the time. but were still owned by GM. After the trains failed to generate any orders GM sold them to Rock Island for commuter service at the end of the tours.