Railroad Forums 

• Hastings Lift Bridge

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#1337322  by Leo_Ames

What's the story on this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastings_Rail_Bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't find anything about this, except repeats of Wikipedia, besides a late 19th century postcard of an earlier bridge. What necessitated such an expensive investment for a company that was struggling? Old bridge damaged by a barge, perhaps? Just structurally wore out? Corps of Engineers wanting to widen the channel? I'd like to see a picture of the bridge that was replaced.

Even Trains has no coverage, making me wonder if the build date is even correct. I'd of thought this would've rated a news photo that year, since it's not like significant bridges like this are built every day.
 #1352937  by JayBee

Leo_Ames wrote:What's the story on this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hastings_Rail_Bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't find anything about this, except repeats of Wikipedia, besides a late 19th century postcard of an earlier bridge. What necessitated such an expensive investment for a company that was struggling? Old bridge damaged by a barge, perhaps? Just structurally wore out? Corps of Engineers wanting to widen the channel? I'd like to see a picture of the bridge that was replaced.

Even Trains has no coverage, making me wonder if the build date is even correct. I'd of thought this would've rated a news photo that year, since it's not like significant bridges like this are built every day.
Yes Leo, the build date is correct. The bridge it replaced was placed into service on December 9, 1871. It was a center-pivot swing span. Needless to say the Coast Guard wanted it gone as it is just downstream of Lock and Dam #1 and it was a hazard to Barge traffic. The MILW, with CG help, managed to get some money out of the Federal Government. It probably would not have been able to withstand a parade of 286k freight cars.
 #1355273  by wjstix

I doubt the 1981 build date. It might have been overhauled at that time, but I'm sure the bridge has been there for much longer than that. That being said, it's on their Twin Cities - Chicago mainline, and the line has seen a considerable amount of freight and passenger traffic over the years, even now with CP and Amtrak. It certainly would have been worth a major investment to keep it up to snuff.
 #1355353  by JayBee

wjstix wrote:I doubt the 1981 build date. It might have been overhauled at that time, but I'm sure the bridge has been there for much longer than that. That being said, it's on their Twin Cities - Chicago mainline, and the line has seen a considerable amount of freight and passenger traffic over the years, even now with CP and Amtrak. It certainly would have been worth a major investment to keep it up to snuff.
Why do you doubt the build date?

Here is a link to a TrainOrders discussion about the bridge and its predecessor with photographs of the original bridge from the Minnesota Historical Society showing the original bridge taken in 1930.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 11,3555504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1358048  by wjstix

Well if nothing else, it seemed odd that a railroad in bankruptcy, and in the process of being taken over by another railroad (Soo Line) would build a new bridge, let alone put a huge herald for their railroad on it. That being said, it does look like that ancient looking bridge was actually built in 1981.

http://johnweeks.com/bridges/pages/r01.html

BTW to answer a question asked in the link you posted, there are power poles with wires going to the bridge. I believe the bridge is electrically powered. You can see them if you look up Hastings on GoogleMaps and go to street level. BTW there's a signal / interlocking tower on the south side, not sure if one existed at one time on the north side. That might be the "shanties" the person asked about.
 #1358447  by mtuandrew

I suspect (and vaguely recall hearing) that The Milwaukee Road got some significant support from the US Army Corps of Engineers on this new bridge. Also, with just having abandoned a huge chunk of their lines and cut back to the Midwest, the MILW needed to focus on its major moneymaking route: CHI-MSP. It made sense with that new corporate structure to invest millions in a new, long-lasting lift bridge. (A high-level fixed bridge isn't an option in that location.)
 #1359247  by JayBee

wjstix wrote:Well if nothing else, it seemed odd that a railroad in bankruptcy, and in the process of being taken over by another railroad (Soo Line) would build a new bridge, let alone put a huge herald for their railroad on it. That being said, it does look like that ancient looking bridge was actually built in 1981.

http://johnweeks.com/bridges/pages/r01.html

BTW to answer a question asked in the link you posted, there are power poles with wires going to the bridge. I believe the bridge is electrically powered. You can see them if you look up Hastings on GoogleMaps and go to street level. BTW there's a signal / interlocking tower on the south side, not sure if one existed at one time on the north side. That might be the "shanties" the person asked about.
The tower on the south side is for the Bridgetender.