• What causes this? (heavy black smoke emissions)

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by emd_SD_60

Quite a smoker, eh?

by Alcoman

Some guesses..............

1) It wants to be an ALCO
2) It IS an Alco in a GE costume....Halloween?
3) The engineer wanted an Alco and did not get one so he disconnected the Turbo.
4) The Turbo protested and said; "I quit!"

by AEM7AC920

From the photo it's sure doing a good job of being an ALCO

by emd_SD_60

Sure would hate to be in the cab of the 8053... :-D

by Allen Hazen

9320 sure doesn't look like a healthy C40-8!
In my naiveté, I would have said "turbo-charger problems": the obvious way to produce black smoke is to use too much fuel for the amount of oxygen going to the engine. From what various people have said when questions like this have come up in the past, though, I'm not sure the problem is with the turbo (though if the engine is kept on line, it may soon be: I can't imagine huge amounts of soot are GOOD for turbos). Apparently if the piston rings fail, lube oil can get into the combustion chamber (with, once again, the result being too much carbon for not enough oxygen).
--
Will one of the people who really knows about this sort of thing please write in-- THIS time I'll try to REMEMBER the detais of your explanation!

by emd_SD_60

I sure hope I catch a UP C40-8 (or an NS C39-8 shooting flames 10 feet up) doing this soon... It would look spectacular on video!

by cb&q bob

Most likely, this is the result of a failed turbocharger.
Sometimes the bearings fail which damages the impeller fins and somtimes the turbo stops turning altogether. We check them buy pulling a baggie filter and shutting down the engine then watching to see how long it takes the impeller to slow to a stop. We can usually spot any obvious damage at this time.
It may be warped baffles on the exhaust side of the turbo also. This would keep the turbo from coming up to the proper speed and not pumping enough air.
It could be another problem such as plugged intercoolers,plugged air filters, broken injector tips, or a problem with the rack linkage but , with this model of locomotive, I'd bet on the turbo being bad.
On units with electronic fuel injection, plugged fuel filters or intercoolers and broken injector nozzles are a pretty frequent cause of smoke and fire at the stack .
I'm sure there are other possible reasons but , from my experience , these are the most likely. One thing I've learned is that just when I think I've got them figgured out, I stumble upon a problem I've never seen before. Thats what keeps it fun!

by mp15ac

Some other reasons (humorous):

1. It wants to be a steam locomotive like the 3985 or the 844.
2. This loco has the "Mount St. Helens" option.
3. Its dusting the local farmer's crops for him.
4. The shop crew installed an old Alco turbo by mistake.

Stuart

by emd_SD_60

So basically it needs a new turbocharger. :wink:

BTW, LOL on the "possible guesses"! :-D

by emd_SD_60

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=38646

Looks like in that pic the Fire Department had to be called! Look at how they're shooting at the prime mover (or is it the turbocharger?). And look at the one crewman standing out his window!

by jesse corbett

Nothing like a stack fire on a GE to start my day out right although a nice fuel line failure engine fire is a close second....

by nickleinonen

i've had a few ge's that have smoked like that while in self load in the yard... most have been from charger failures, but i had one from the turbocharger discharge into the right side intercooler, the gaskets were both blown out but still had some friction there, and the steel sleeve had moved opening up a 1/2" gap so the engine was loosing all boost...

when you get smoke like that, you should see the exhaust manifolds... they will be very bright in color