Railroad Forums 

• New ES44C4 (A1A-A1A) Locomotive

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1010847  by MEC407

Trains Magazine is apparently reporting that BNSF Railway has asked Electro-Motive to build a new variation on the SD70ACe, to be known as the SD70ACe-P4. Apparently BNSF is so happy with their ES44C4s from GE that they'd like to try something similar from EMD.

Source: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/r ... 32,2670263
 #1246602  by MEC407

Press release:
Florida East Coast Railway, LLC (FEC) announced today that it will acquire 24 new ES44C4 locomotives from GE Transportation. The new locomotives will be used in thru-freight, heavy haul service on the railway's 351 mile mainline route between Jacksonville, and Miami, FL.
Read more at: http://fecrwy.investorroom.com/2014-01- ... sportation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks to RAILROAD.NET member CN9634 for the link!
 #1246603  by mp15ac

Interesting for two reasons:

1. Its the FEC's first non-EMD power;

2. Its the first sale of the ES44C4 to a railroad other than BNSF.

Stuart
 #1246605  by MEC407

A third reason this is interesting: CN9634 reported that a few of these locomotives may possibly be fueled by natural gas.
 #1246734  by Allen Hazen

The most recent list I have ("The Official 2011 Edition : Locomotive Rosters & News of North America"by James W. Kerr) shows the FEC as having 58 units total, with a note saying that "many" are leased out. So 24 4400hp units would be enough to do, probably, well over half of FEC's mainline train-pulling.
 #1246847  by MEC407

It was mentioned in the FEC forum (by RAILROAD.NET member Noel Weaver) that FEC has not been pleased with the performance of their SD70M-2s and that those units will most likely be returned to the lessor once the GEs are in service.
 #1302285  by MEC407

Very nice!
 #1303598  by MEC407

Photo by Allan R. Willams Jr.:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=507178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1355835  by es80ac

I am interested in hearing everyone's opinion on the current fad started by BNSF on the A1A-A1A, B1-B1 concept. Is this concept long term viable or a dead end concept. The true six axle locomotives have proven their superiority over the four axle locomotives over the last 10 years or so. The C4s weighs almost as much as a true C-C locomotive, a specialized/more complex truck design, same size/length. So it does not have the advantages of the 4 alex engines in terms of lower weight and versatility on tight curves. Yet it probably still have the same disadvantage of too much hp on too few axles, more prone to wheel slip even with the weight shifting trucks. Less versatile than the true six axle engines, which can be used in both heavy haul and fast intermodal, where the C4 are more specialized. Is the saving of 2 traction motors that great to warrant such a design? The old EMD E units were A1A-A1A arrange as well, there has not been many locomotive design since then that use this type of arrangement. Will the current experiment fail?
 #1355865  by MEC407

I think it's too soon to tell whether the overall concept has been a true success, but it's worth noting that GE has built over 1,000 ES44C4s, and is now busily building the ET44C4 Tier 4 version. BNSF's C4 order is on par with UP's famous 1000-unit order of SD70Ms. C4 production is also on par with the total number of SD60s EMD built, and exceeds the number of GP38s they built, so I'd say the GE C4 is a success even if they never build another one from this point forward. EMD hasn't had nearly the same success with their P4, but perhaps that will change once they get their Tier 4 production going. We'll have to wait and see.
 #1355889  by AVR Mark

It appears that BNSF thinks that the concept is a success. My evidence for this statement is that they are now rebuilding older GEs (C44-9W) in the 600 series into the the same A-1-A AC motored configuration. I think that the real objective is to reduce maintenance costs because AC traction motors don't have commutators or brushes.

Mark
 #1355901  by es80ac

I wonder if they are trying to save on two traction motors in terms of maintenance and weight, why not just build some straight B-B four axle locomotives, less complicated, more suitable for branchlines and sharp curves. I was thinking maybe they are not sure if longer term this might turn out to be worth it. Perhaps they think if this does not work out, they can just swap out the c4 trucks replace with the regular C-C trucks?