Railroad Forums 

• ditributed power vs remote control

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#402461  by dash7

Hi,are most diesels today still being made with R/C equipment? like the KCS and UP/SP snoot nosed loco's or is this equipment now smaller as tecnology improved? and what is the difference between distributed power and remote control ie: mid train helpers? thanks; :-D dash7

#403230  by Peter Radanovic

I know that CN's GP9RMs and possibly other small locomotives have remote control, which is used allot in yard operations here, making CN successful with it. Some switchers made today might be ordered with remote-control equipment, though I've never looked into the purchases. If CN decides dumping their current fleet of yard locomotives, I think that they will go with integrating remote control into its "new" fleets.
Mid-train helpers being part of distributed power are there to reduce slack action, I think, which would tear a coupler off of its frame and socket. The mid-train helpers run in unison with the head locomotive, so there is a signal being sent from the main locomotive to the others.
Remote control is simply controlling a train with a remote interface, making the yards that have such locomotives, radar-enforced in most of the cases, because there is no engineers to spot you. It's no wonder that CN puts those big "WARNING: remote-controlled locomotives" signs up!
 #403290  by dash7

Thanks Peter, that clears it up for me now! :-D dash7

#403305  by Peter Radanovic

You're welcome! :-D

#416882  by Pilbara Rail

When BHP first started using Locotrol (fore runner to DP) it was in a separate car attached to the mid train locomotives complete with radio interface gear, indicating lights and air receivers etc.

When Locotrol II came along BHP had it fitted to 3 'cab-less' rebuild units as a trial, but with the advent of Locotrol III and miniaturisation, cabs were fitted and now with DP it takes up even less room.

The mid-train units are MU'ed as per normal, then the locotrol is set up so the lead unit communicates with the lead unit on the head.

Queensland Rail are doing similar things. You'll still see 'Pie Carts' as they call the Locotrol cars, but as more loco are rebuilt then the electronics are being progressively incorporated in the loco.