• GEVO numbers

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by Allen Hazen

GE's press releases about the GEVO engine used in ES locomotives have been notably lacking in detail. I've finally found a few numbers, in a paper presented to the "2003 Fall Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division" in Erie PA in September 2003.
If you can get such things-- it helps to be on friendly terms with the Interlibrary Loan people at the Engineering Library of a major university-- the paper is identified by ASME as "ICEF2003-708" with the title "General Electric GEVO Engine for Tier 2 Locomotive Application" (apparently pp. 399-4407 of a conference proceedings volume); it is by Paul Flynn and Susan Napierkowski (of GE Transportation systems) and two co-authors who seem to be affiliated with a consulting engineering outfit, FEV Engine Technology (or its German branch, FEV Motorentechnik). Paul Flynn seems to be high in the pecking order in GE Transportation's engine design and development hierarchy: he also published (with two other GETS co-authors and someone from the Mech. Eng. Dept. of Gannon University (also in Erie)) a paper on "Development of the Low-Emission GE-7FDL High-Power Medium-Speed Locomotive Diesel Engine" in the April 2003 issue of an ASME journal, the "Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power," pp. 505-512.
As a non-engineer, I doubt I appreciated the fine points. The first couple of pages go over the motivation (meeting pollution controls without the sacrifices in performance etc thast would have been entailed had they tried to meet them with a tweaked FDL); there follows an account of the sorts of computational experimenting involved in working out the detailed design. Nowhere do the words "Deutz' or "HDL" occur.
Next posting will give some figures from the GEVO paper.
  by Allen Hazen

--- The GEVO's cylinders have 250mm bore and 320mm stroke. (Funny. I think those are the same dimensions as in the Deutz-GE HDL engine of cursèd memory.)
---The twelve cylinder engine is 2683 mm high (bottom of the crank case to top of the turbocharger casing). (This seems to be about 40cm -- 16 inches -- more than the corresponding figure (2289mm) for the FDL engine.)
---It is 4196 mm long. (7FDL-12 is 4051mm, 7FDL-16 is 4902mm: The GEVO is only about 6 inches longer than the 12-cylinder FDL.)
---It is 1598mm wide. (So it is, despite its larger cylinders, actually narrower over-all than the FDL: 1740mm.)
---It weighs 19,500kg. (Almost as much as a 16-cylinder FDL: 19,700. So the 16-cylinder GEVO on the "ES60" is going to be HEAVY: assuming it scales up in the same proportion as the 12 and 16 cylinder FDLs, the 16 cylinder GEVO will weigh something like 24,000 or 25,000 kg, or about five tons more than an FDL-16. (This isn't excessive for an engine of this size: the British 16RKC engine used on, eg, British Rail's Class 56 locomotives weighed a bit under 24,000kg.))
--
More if I understand enough to say something interesting.

by Joe

While we're on GEVOs...How many GEVO locomotives have we all seen? I have seen two, ES44AC BNSF 5731 on May 9th and 57?? sometime in January or February when I didn't have my camera :( . Both were in Downers Grove.

by BN7151

Well, I've seen 5731, 5736, 5740, and 5742 (twice), all on BNSF.

by Allen Hazen

I live in Australia, so I haven't seen any! But I saw a news item that Goninan (GE's Australian licensee) is to build some 4000 hp, AC motored, locomotives for use in the Hunter Valley (NSW) coal region: it will be interesting to see whether they get FDL or GEVO engines!
---
Continuing my report on what I have gleaned from the technical article...
---The 12 cylinder GEVO has the same power output as a 16 cylinder FDL. (This is an obvious marketing ploy-- particularly after the recent bad experiences with AC60 and SD90, the railroads don't trust anything NEW. GE has a new engine, but they can tell customers that nothing ELSE has changed.)
---So, 33% more power per cylinder.
---Top speed for the GEVO is 1050rpm.
---The GEVO cylinders are much bigger than the FDL: 959cu in per cylinder versus 668cu in.
---So the swept volume per cylinder is about 143% that of an FDL's, meaning that the power output per unit of swept volume is actually LESS: the GEVO is a CONSERVATIVELY rated engine.

by GEVO

The Goninan's are FDLs.

There are over 40 GEVO's out there in the US and Canada.

by westernrrtx

What BNSF engine numbers are GEVO units ?

by Joe

5718-5747. :-D