• P32-8BWH providing electricity for New Orleans jail

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

by MEC407

The 3,200-horsepower Amtrak locomotive hums on track No. 3, powering the temporary jail for a lone prisoner who paces back and forth in his cell.

So it came to be: The novel idea of a locomotive-powered jail was born in crisis. Today, the only bus at the terminal is one from the Louisiana State Penitentiary, and the only train the 511 locomotive. A giant generator, Amtrak left it behind to keep perishables in its commissary cold but gladly offered it to desperate prison authorities who needed it for a higher purpose.
Read the full article at:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-cane ... -headlines

by DutchRailnut

old news

by MEC407

The article is dated September 17 -- that's today.

by DutchRailnut

they are running slow in florida, this has been coverd on Amtrak tread for a week.
the Jail(station) is back to regular power for at least 4 or 5 days already.

by MEC407

Slow news day, I guess.

Nevertheless, I thought it would be of interest to GE fans who don't frequent the Amtrak board.

by AmtrakFan

At most major Stations they keep a back up unit for power.

by nessman

The same was done up in Canada (Montreal I think) after a nasty ice storm 1998... they used an Alco and believe it or not, removed it from the rails and ran it down a street, parked it next to a hospital where it provided power.

by DutchRailnut

difference was in New Orleans they just used the 800kw HEP with full instrumentation and protection.
In Canada they used the Main Generator of a Freight engine for powering half a town.
They had the diesel running at 900 rpm but no protection like Circuit breakers etc, kind of a risky business for the users.