Railroad Forums 

• FDL V6 engine?

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1387991  by cd367

I'm not sure where this is, but it appears to show a 7FDL-6 engine.

Do any of you know if this was something used in export locomotives? Or could it have been something similar to the V2 test engines that EMD built?
7FDL6R3.jpg
7FDL6R3.jpg (217.68 KiB) Viewed 12919 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es3qsffNyUw
 #1388693  by MEC407

Neat!

The turbo seems almost comically large compared to the rest of the engine.
 #1392208  by Engineer Spike

When I was in engineer training at BN, in the JCCC facility, Overland Park, KS, they had small GE and EMD engines. The mechanist trainees used them to learn the engines. Engineers learned all the protective devices, and their resets. The picture could be another training model.
 #1392625  by cd367

Were these "training" engines functional? Meaning, did they actually run? And what kind of arrangement were they? V6, V8, etc...?
 #1393273  by Engineer Spike

I don't think the instruction engines were connected to any water, fuel, nor exhaust lines. They were just static. I also can't say that they were V6. They (the EMD 645, and GE FDL) could have been V8. Engineer school was 18 years ago this Fall.
 #1393649  by MEC407

I've always thought a V6 GEVO would be a very interesting repower option for older locos — probably a lot easier to shoehorn in than the rather long straight-6 GEVO.